• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best housing for garden exposed to the elements

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
Hi we've just moved to a house on top of a hill so it's very exposed to wind, sun etc. I was thinking of getting a shed and run but now I'm thinking a dog kennel will be more sheltered. Does anyone have any advice? And will a 12x6ft kennel be big enough for 4 bunnies?

Hello!
I have a 12 X 4 dog kennel, my bunnies are house bunnies at the moment so I wanted something very sheltered and secure for them and it really is, I got the run Windows half length instead of full length too so even though it's open its still well coverd from the elements.

Hi there, our garden is very exposed to sun, less for rain and wind. We built an enclosure that is sort of an aviary with a solid roof and a wood cladded end going to 2ft along the sides. It was great in winter, the roof made such a temperature difference and they were protected and warm in their hutch at the cladded end.
I am worried about the summer so am going to have a runaround tunnel down to a run that is at the bottom shaded area of the garden :)

Mine have a 5x7 shed with 4ft tube leading into a 12x6ft run.
The shed offers a windproof/sheltered area and the run/aviary has opaque corrugated sheets on top (screwed down well!) and has boxes & pipes for cover but allows fresh air to blow through. They spend most of their time in the run and go into the shed at night (24 hour access) or if the weather gets really hot.

You can add & remove side protection for hot/cold protection if you wanted.

:)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone - the cattery looks similar to what I'm planning :) I just want them to have the best house ever haha

Back