• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

can anyone help?

ted1

Young Bun
Hello,I have 2 rescue rabbits,one male (white)and one female brown lop ear both rescue rabbits been together for the last 3.5 yrs at least...they live outside in a large hutch ..which tbh is like a hotel!! they have free run of the garden recently I have seen the little one the male become less active,and this morning I noticed blood around his bottom ..took him to the vet..who checked him over and said that his major organs are shutting down..options were to put him to sleep or give him antibiotics..etc ..2 injections...but the vet said he thought this was the end...he seems to be getting weaker by the hour,so much so he cant get back up the hutch ladder..they are both cuddled up together downstairs...she definitely knows something is wrong...I have just given him some chocolate drops which he has eaten,but he has flopped back down beside her..as you can expect, my head is pounding and racing,because I dont know what to do..is there anything I can do?definitely dont want to give up on the little fella !!!! thank you

Hello,I have 2 rescue rabbits,one male (white)and one female brown lop ear both rescue rabbits been together for the last 3.5 yrs at least...they live outside in a large hutch ..which tbh is like a hotel!! they have free run of the garden recently I have seen the little one the male become less active,and this morning I noticed blood around his bottom ..took him to the vet..who checked him over and said that his major organs are shutting down..options were to put him to sleep or give him antibiotics..etc ..2 injections...but the vet said he thought this was the end...he seems to be getting weaker by the hour,so much so he cant get back up the hutch ladder..they are both cuddled up together downstairs...she definitely knows something is wrong...I have just given him some chocolate drops which he has eaten,but he has flopped back down beside her..as you can expect, my head is pounding and racing,because I dont know what to do..is there anything I can do?definitely dont want to give up on the little fella !!!! thank you

Have your rabbits been vaccinated?

If not, this sounds as if it could be Viral Hemorrhagic Disease (VHD)

If they have been vaccinated, then I would recommend an urgent second opinion from a very savvy vet.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/VHD_UK.htm ... This article is a bit dated, as there is now a single vaccine for Myxo and VHD, but the facts about VHD remain the same.

Last edited:
hiya mighty max,thanks yes they have both been vaccinated,he is trying but is very lethargic ,and struggling to open his eyes now

hiya mighty max,thanks yes they have both been vaccinated,he is trying but is very lethargic ,and struggling to open his eyes now

Wow that's a relief. Has he stopped eating altogether? Can the vet take some bloods and also put him on fluids IMMEDIATELY? He must be kept going until you/the vet finds out what's going on.

Do you have confidence in your vet?

I would also consider the possibility of it being Floppy Rabbit Syndrome.

This is not a diagnosis as such, merely a description that matches some of the symptoms you've outlined.
If he could have fluids right now at the vet, it could possibly do him a world of good.

Get the vet also to take his temperature and tell you whether it's lower than expected.

From Frances Harcourt-Brown...

"Floppy Rabbit Syndrome" is the colloqiual term for an idiopathic condition that affects pet rabbits causing generalized muscular weakness. The cause is not known, although several possibilities exist. These include, hypokalaemia and plant toxicity, or neurological, metabolic or muscular causes, which could be infectious, metabolic, congenital or nutritional in origin. A feature of this condition is the recovery that can take place. It is important to recognize the good prognosis and not euthanase rabbits in the initial stages. Interestingly, recovery usually takes place within 2-3 days, whatever treatment is perscribed. Supportive care, especially assisted feeding is required.

Thank you for the PM, I am glad that you got your Rabbit back to the Vet. I am so hoping that there has been a miracle for him, but given the second Vet confirmed my fears we know that things are very grave :cry: If you feel able to update this thread then please do so when you can, or as before you can PM me xx

hello ..just an update...we fed Sam via syringe hourly through the night with ox bow critical care that we got from the vet..we manged to get 18 x15ml syringes full into him....he is very very sick,but opens his eyes now,and sucks on the syringe at times himself..Sam is also pooing and weeing ,though they are just small pellets...Iam back at the vets with him in half an hour

Glad to read there is some improvement - loads of vibes and prayers for Sam - he really is a fighter isn't he? x

update..just got to the vets ..and sam passed away at the door of the vets..he gave it his best....so thru the tears now I need some help with my other rabbit...she was in the house overnight,but usually stays in the hutch outside..should I completely clean it out and try and get rid of any signs of Sam?thank you for your help ..ted x

I'm so sorry. Binky free Sam. Xxx

Your other bunny should see Sam, so she knows what has happened. :(

She may well just go back into the hutch anyway, but if not you may need to clean it out. I used diluted vinegar when I had to do this.

Sending you a hug x

update..just got to the vets ..and sam passed away at the door of the vets..he gave it his best....so thru the tears now I need some help with my other rabbit...she was in the house overnight,but usually stays in the hutch outside..should I completely clean it out and try and get rid of any signs of Sam?thank you for your help ..ted x

Oh I am so sorry :cry: You tried your best for Sam

Have you bought Sam's little body back home with you ? If so it may help if you allow his friend to spend some time saying goodbye. She may groom him or nudge him. But she may just ignore him. I realise that this may be very hard for you to do and obviously if Sam has remained at the Vets it's not an option anyway. In which case I would clean the hutch out and provide her with some new toys to try to keep he interested in her surroundings. If there was any chance that she could remain indoors with you rather than being outdoors on her own I think that is what I would want to do.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss :cry:

RIP Sam

Thank you for your PM and also this very sad update. As you know when we spoke privately through the evening this was a serious situation, and I believe you did everything you could for Sam. You could not have done more.

If it's possible to let your other rabbit see Sam I believe that would be a great help to her, although she obviously knew of the serious condition. If this isn't possible, don't fret, just clean out the hutch and give her perhaps new boxes to play with, or spend some time with her indoors.

I will also PM you with something that will help her if you feel she is depressed. She is a lively girl and I feel is quite strong.

Bless you for trying so hard with Sam xxx

Back