Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WW: Gardening with Rabbits

Default WW: Gardening with Rabbits

I thought it would be a good time of year to talk about gardening and rabbits. It's spring (ish) so time to think about sowing seeds/planning new flower beds or starting veg patches.

One thing I plan to sow think year is calendula (pot marigold). I've grown them before and they are nice bright flowers and I know they are bunny safe, but I haven't really bothered with giving them to Scamp. He had some hay/flower/herb mix recently though and he'd dig in and find the calendula petals first so I think I'd try him some fresh and drying some for next winter.

How about you, got any tips for what to grow or a question about your garden?

I haven't but I would love to hear about bunny safe flowers for flower beds and if there are any shrubs that grow to a decent size that are safe?

I am hoping to get the garden completely done out this year and I'm getting grass put in for Milo and Finn to go outside on! Obviously I also want some colour and things!

Join the UK Rabbit Group on Facebook, following RWAF welfare messages and loving rabbits all around!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/UkRabbitGroup/

I have a shady bit of my allotment where i'm going to try some borage and nasturtiums. Helps the bees out as well

I've also had a move around after the sage bush got knocked down by my old plot neighbours so I have a couple of new sage plants as well as some fennel to go in sometime soon.

Warren Scout

I'm planting lots of herbs and I've got some fenugreek seeds to try.

We grow lots of herbs, kale and bunny safe flowers for our massive patio which is part of where the buns do their free range time. They last about five minutes though

Bunny mum to rescue rabbits Cinna, Katniss, Prim, Haymitch, Rose, Shadow, Claudia, Ollie, Blue, Willow, Belle and Ruben
    Binky free at the bridge Kylie boops, Desbun & Nemo. Miss you so much
    Manager at Rabbit Residence Rescue

My camellia's covered in flowers so I've been giving them to the chickens and rabbits as they drop.
    I've been digging up the wild leek in my garden in spring and autumn for 4 years, finally had it relatively under control but didn't bother for ONE SEASON and now it's everywhere, so I'll be making a start on that soon.

I can't wait to get it free-range suitable as I've never seen a rabbit enjoy outside like Mack does. They've all enjoyed it but mostly settle somewhere to eat pretty quickly. Mack binkies all over the place as soon as he's allowed out and keeps doing it for ages

you cannot fail to please a rabbit and a human with the wide range of HARDY geranium (cranesbills). From teensy pink ones to giant blue ones - they are totally brilliant in flower, last all through the season (with a good chop back in June), grow year after year after year, clumps can be split and transplanted to make new ones - and rabbits adore them.
    Who carry in their hearts Sweet Pea, Florence, Bramble, Parsnip, Quickthorn, Quince, Sage and little Snowdrop. We also remember Viola who visited.

what beautiful bunnies. thanks for sharing.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah1991 View Post
    I haven't but I would love to hear about bunny safe flowers for flower beds and if there are any shrubs that grow to a decent size that are safe?
    How big would you consider decent size? Roses can get shrub sized and they are safe, plus lovely flowers in a very wide range of colours.

Quote Originally Posted by parsnipbun View Post
    you cannot fail to please a rabbit and a human with the wide range of HARDY geranium (cranesbills). From teensy pink ones to giant blue ones - they are totally brilliant in flower, last all through the season (with a good chop back in June), grow year after year after year, clumps can be split and transplanted to make new ones - and rabbits adore them.
    Forgive me for the possibly daft questions, i'm rubbish with flowers, but do they grow from seed? And are they happy in dry shade?