• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bloating or bloat in rabbits

Percybunny

New Kit
Hello everyone! Im after a little advice again please.

Following on from Percy being neutered we have found a lovely wife bunny for him at a local rescue centre. She's also been neutered and they were looking to rehome her to someone who had a neutered male already and also someone who understood that she dislikes being picked up (so I guess an adult family not children as we are)
She seemed perfect and we met her last week. She was recovering from a respiratory infection so was still in isolation but they said she was much better and had finished her medication so just needed a final check up from the vet to be certain she was back on form before we could collect her.

Ive just spoken to the centre again and they tell me this morning she wasn't quite herself so she has another vet appointment this afternoon. Apparently when she first came into the centre she got bloat (or was bloated, not sure how the lady put it!) and they are a little worried she might be going down with it again.
They are going to call me as soon as she's seen the vet but in the meantime can anyone give me any info on this condition and how serious it is or how its treated please?
She's currently at the Blue Cross having come from another smaller rabbit rescue and has been in shelters for some time so had a stressful time, poor little thing.

Following on from Percy being neutered we have found a lovely wife bunny for him at a local rescue centre. She's also been neutered and they were looking to rehome her to someone who had a neutered male already and also someone who understood that she dislikes being picked up (so I guess an adult family not children as we are)
She seemed perfect and we met her last week. She was recovering from a respiratory infection so was still in isolation but they said she was much better and had finished her medication so just needed a final check up from the vet to be certain she was back on form before we could collect her.

Ive just spoken to the centre again and they tell me this morning she wasn't quite herself so she has another vet appointment this afternoon. Apparently when she first came into the centre she got bloat (or was bloated, not sure how the lady put it!) and they are a little worried she might be going down with it again.
They are going to call me as soon as she's seen the vet but in the meantime can anyone give me any info on this condition and how serious it is or how its treated please?
She's currently at the Blue Cross having come from another smaller rabbit rescue and has been in shelters for some time so had a stressful time, poor little thing.

Poor Bunny, she sounds to have been having a very difficult time :cry:

Bloat as in 'Gastric Dilation' is extremely serious, it can be life threatening. Here is some info about it :

http://www.sawneeanimalclinic.com/d..._obstruction,_gastric_dilation_in_rabbits.pdf

You say that the Blue Cross think she *may* be going down with bloat again ... or being bloated ...

It's a very serious condition, which is often fatal in rabbits, so I am hoping this isn't the case for this little bunny. Let's hope it's something much less serious, poor thing xx

I missed their call but he message was that her carer thought she seemed not quite herself this morning so they made an appointment however the vet is happy that she is in fact healthy. They are going to re-check her on Thursday and all being well she can come home on Friday and hopefully I can give the poor thing the life she deserves.
Is there any general all round supplement I could maybe give to help boost her immune system after all this?

I missed their call but he message was that her carer thought she seemed not quite herself this morning so they made an appointment however the vet is happy that she is in fact healthy. They are going to re-check her on Thursday and all being well she can come home on Friday and hopefully I can give the poor thing the life she deserves.
Is there any general all round supplement I could maybe give to help boost her immune system after all this?

Yes I did wonder if they may be jumping to conclusions, and I am glad that they were and all is well :thumb:

I would give a herbal echinacea supplement:

http://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-fluid-extract

Good luck with your new little bun :D

Last edited:

I use an alcohol free Echinacea tincture, do check with the Vet first though. Whilst it is generally harmless I do not like to advise others to administer complimentary treatments to their Rabbit as I am not qualified to do so :)

http://www.baldwins.co.uk/natures-answer-echinacea-alcohol-free-fluid-extract-30ml

I am glad that the Bunny seems to be OK now xx

Back