• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit injections?

hannah90

New Kit
Good evening,
I will soon be getting two baby rabbits but i need to give them injections and as i have not owned a rabbit before need some advice?
how much are the injections and how often do they need injection, thanks in advance

Hello :)

Rabbits need to be vaccinated once a year. A single dose combination vaccine is given-Nobivac Myxo-RHD- which provides protection against both Myxomatosis and Viral Haemorrhagic Disease. The vaccine can be given to a Rabbit from the age of 5 weeks

http://www.msd-animal-health.co.uk/Products_Public/nobivac-myxo-rhd/090_product_datasheet.aspx

All Vets set their own Fees so you would need to ask the specific Vet you are registering your Rabbits with about how much it will cost.Good luck with your new Rabbits :D

it doesn't cost anything to actually register, but obviously the appointment will and the vaccinations. hopefully someone will beable to recommend you an exotics/rabbit savvy vet in your area :)

Good evening,
I will soon be getting two baby rabbits but i need to give them injections and as i have not owned a rabbit before need some advice?
how much are the injections and how often do they need injection, thanks in advance

The Rabbit Welfare Association's advice is that rabbits (in good health only) can be vaccinated from 6 weeks old. You can shop around to find the best price for vaccinations in your area.

My two are getting their vaccinations later today.

Make sue you ask for the combined vaccine, as that is only needed once a year and works out cheaper :)

Make sue you ask for the combined vaccine, as that is only needed once a year and works out cheaper :)

My vet no longer stocks the separate vaccines ..... I didn't know you could routinely be offered them separately? Interesting ...

The single dose Myxo Vaccine is no longer being manufactured. So unless the Vet has a stockpile of it then it wont be available :)

Never knew that :) All the better :)

Well personally I preferred the separate vaccines to give to 'compromised' rabbits rather than the two in one. My vet is unhappy about the combo vaccine for a couple of my buns so they are living without ...

ETA - My vet is Christabel at Twickenham Vet Surgery and this was her advice :lol:

Last edited:
Never knew that :) All the better :)

My Vet at Twickenham Veterinary Surgery is really pleased with the safety and efficacy of the Nobivac Myxo-RHD Vaccine. I have even been able to vaccinate some Rabbits who have longterm health problems and none have had any bad reactions to it.Such a relief as having unvaccinated Rabbits is such a huge risk. Whereas the single dose VHD vaccine, well that was an entirely different scenario when all that was available was the Cylap one. That Vaccine should never have been granted a licence.

Apologies OP, we appear to have highjacked your thread !!

Yip, thread nicked :)

Anyways, I remember Kermit having the limp on Cylap. Glad that is not on the cards any more.

Back