• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Reoccuring eye problems?

FloLo

Alpha Buck
Hi all!

On Friday noticed Flo's conjunctiva was all inflamed on one eye and there was discharge :(
Took her to the vet (on my day off as well!) and vet can't see any obvious issues, teeth are perfect. Got some eye drops (she's being a nightmare to apply them though! :evil: ) She has had eye discharge before...any one else had a reoccuring eye problem in their bun?
He recommended an x-ray of her skull to see if he can pinpoint something on there. It's weird as it doesn't seem to be caused by anything obvious!

Did the Vet check to see if the nasolacrimal duct is blocked ?

If it is, due to either chronic inflammation, a plug of pus and/or elongated tooth roots that can cause recurrent bouts of conjunctivitis. Tooth root elongation can only be diagnosed by taking skull radiographs. That is probably why your Vet suggested it.

Yeah did a fluorescein test no problems with the nasolacrimal duct there. I mean the last time she had it was September which was a while ago.
It gets better with antibiotic eye drops very quickly too.
Ah well I suppose will have to wait to see the skull xray, will be interesting to have a look at it.

Yeah did a fluorescein test no problems with the nasolacrimal duct there. I mean the last time she had it was September which was a while ago.
It gets better with antibiotic eye drops very quickly too.
Ah well I suppose will have to wait to see the skull xray, will be interesting to have a look at it.

How long after symptoms resolve do you keep her on treatment for ? It's usually a good idea to treat for a few days after all symptoms have gone incase any hardy bugs have remained.

She's on the drops for 10 ten days, cleared up after 2 days.
Yeah I know, gotta finish the course of antibiotics.

Hi all!

On Friday noticed Flo's conjunctiva was all inflamed on one eye and there was discharge :(
Took her to the vet (on my day off as well!) and vet can't see any obvious issues, teeth are perfect. Got some eye drops (she's being a nightmare to apply them though! :evil: ) She has had eye discharge before...any one else had a reoccuring eye problem in their bun?
He recommended an x-ray of her skull to see if he can pinpoint something on there. It's weird as it doesn't seem to be caused by anything obvious!

Is the discharge clear or white? (sorry if you've already said :) ) Sometimes there's a blocked tear duct (can be caused by tooth roots) and that can cause repeated eye infections/discharge. It's not always easy to resolve completely, but see how the eye drops do this time.

She's on the drops for 10 ten days, cleared up after 2 days.
Yeah I know, gotta finish the course of antibiotics.

It may just be that she is prone to conjunctivitis. Sometimes we never can find a real reason why. Hopefully this course of treatment will resolve things quickly again.

One other thing, did the Vet check your Rabbit's ears ? I ask as sometimes a Rabbit with ear mites or a slight ear infection may accidentally catch an eye with a toenail as they scratch the ear that is bothering them.

Haha yeah - I still don't know everything though!!!
Her conjuctiva are still a little inflammed after looking this evening - but not red or dischargey like before. She is being such a terror to get her eye drops in though. It takes two people, a large towel and about 10 minutes of struggling :lol: I'm going to have to ask the vet for more as she wiggled and I squirted the fucithalmic on her face! :oops:

Haha yeah - I still don't know everything though!!!
Her conjuctiva are still a little inflammed after looking this evening - but not red or dischargey like before. She is being such a terror to get her eye drops in though. It takes two people, a large towel and about 10 minutes of struggling :lol: I'm going to have to ask the vet for more as she wiggled and I squirted the fucithalmic on her face! :oops:

I am giving one of my buns eye drops at the moment, and I am perfecting the art of pulling the lower lid out as opposed to the top lid up .. I find that a drop actually goes into the eye better that way. It really does necessitate having three hands though .... :shock:

I am giving one of my buns eye drops at the moment, and I am perfecting the art of pulling the lower lid out as opposed to the top lid up .. I find that a drop actually goes into the eye better that way. It really does necessitate having three hands though .... :shock:

Hmm maybe I'll try pulling the lower lid down!
The thing is she closes her eyes as tight as possible so my dad struggled getting the drops in while I was holding her! Haha it really does!

Hmm maybe I'll try pulling the lower lid down!
The thing is she closes her eyes as tight as possible so my dad struggled getting the drops in while I was holding her! Haha it really does!

Yes, now the one holding her has the job of holding the 'eyebrow' ... That way they can't scrunch the eye up. Then grasp the hair underneath the eye and gently pull lower lid out, forming small bucket shape. One hand to hold bun, one for eyebrow and one for lower lid.

Oh, I forgot, a fourth hand to squeeze the drop into the eye :lol:

Yes, now the one holding her has the job of holding the 'eyebrow' ... That way they can't scrunch the eye up. Then grasp the hair underneath the eye and gently pull lower lid out, forming small bucket shape. One hand to hold bun, one for eyebrow and one for lower lid.

Oh, I forgot, a fourth hand to squeeze the drop into the eye :lol:

Ok we'll have to attempt this! I have been using both hands to hold her (as she is little minx!) but I'll see if I can multi task. Thanks for the advice - I will let you know how it goes tomorrow :lol:

Back