• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Shadow...In Memorium ~ December-12-95 (?) to March 16, 2010

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
I don't know if I've ever recorded a tribute to my boy here. If I have, please forgive me for having a crummy memory and doubling up. And even though he wasn't a bunny, he was near and dear to my heart and kept me from going completely insane in the wilds of Alaska for 13 years. So if you would all indulge me, I'd like to remember him today, more than five years now since we parted ways.

Shadow, you came to us in the spring of 1997. Even though I had family and other pets, you took center stage in my life. You were a big boy and just a wee bit scary. Your first night with us must have been traumatic for you because you just stood outside your house and howled, all night long. I could never understand how you could miss people who hurt you, but you did.
You were very confrontational at first. It took me wearing a skirt (instead of blue jeans, you didn't like anyone dressed like a guy) and a package of 48 hot dogs to get you friendly. After that I never had a problem with you. You weren't fond of my hubby though. You'd growl and bark if he came anywhere near me. He had his own epiphany with you when he took you for runs to the river on his ATV. You were buddies after that and inseparable. But you and I still had lots of great walks and days playing with the kids together. I never felt afraid as long as you were there. Loyal to a fault and the best friend any of us could have.
Your puppies were beautiful. I'm sorry we couldn't keep them all, we'd never intended for you to have any, but we didn't get you neutered quickly enough and you and Dusty paired right up. She couldn't feed them all so I took turns nursing them. I wish we could've all been family together, (imagine the sled team we would've made!) but 12 dogs (all big ones) was going to be impossible for us to care for. We lost all but two of them to stupid owners. Unless some of your bloodline is still running the trails today out where we are, sometimes I see their faces in the sled dogs here.

One daughter and one son were our keepers. Both of them and their mother went before you. Their passings are nightmares that haunt me to this day.

But you survived GDV and mast cells and even being completley shaved in the dead of winter one year. :shock: We thought someone had taken our dog away and left another in his place. You poor boy, you were so unfamiliar without that great coat of yours, annoying as it was in summer for you.

You had terrible degenerative spinal disease and when your legs wouldn't hold you for your walks we knew time was growing short. But that last winter you developed kidney disease (I'm certain from poor quality dog foods) and on that horrible 16th March we had to let you go because you weren't coming back to us.
I took a few clippings of your beautiful fur and still have them. You are buried in the back yard and this year, when we move, I will never stand at your graveside and speak to you again. Please....please...don't leave me here in this world alone, where I cannot find you. Please come with us, boy. And bring the babies and their mama and all our loved ones who sleep in the earth with you. :cry::cry::cry:

Can't do this even now without crying. You were all the world to me and I hope I was to you. You never ran at my side, you flew. And now you have your own wings. Please watch over us all, and little Jenna especially who I think you sent to me because you saw me floundering, until I come to walk those heavenly trails with you and am no longer shadowless.

Love you, boy. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Shadow%25207-6-07%2520framed.jpg

shadow%2520pix.jpg

beautiful and heartfelt tribute. it doesn't matter how much time passes, it still never seems any easier. hugs x

A beautiful tribute to a very special friend.

It is clear how much he meant to you, I have tears in my eyes reading this.

((((((((((Hugs)))))))))) xxx

What a wonderful tribute to a much love friend.

He was beautiful!

I did have to giggle at the 48 hotdogs though. What better way to make friends?

Thank you everyone :love: I do wish I could've shared him with you all, you would have loved him too, I'm sure. :) If I can ever figure out how to crop one of his videos I may add one later on.

What a wonderful tribute to a much love friend.

He was beautiful!

I did have to giggle at the 48 hotdogs though.
What better way to make friends?

He'd gotten off his lead and was running free around the yard and, having been bitten by a GSD as a child, I was terrified that he would do the same, so I was just trying to get him to stand still whilst I tried to leash him up again. It didn't work and OH returned from wherever he had been at the time all angry at me thinking I'd tried to walk him and lost him. :roll: I was mostly afraid he'd run off into someone's yard and they'd think he was a wolf and shoot him. :(
It was just ahead of Memorial Day Weekend and we'd planned a barbecue. :shock: Not quite sure what we cooked instead, I think my OH wound up having to go fishing. :roll:
I just can't believe he ate them all and didn't get horribly ill. :( It was the only time he ever had them though. My OH used to feed him hoagie rolls. He'd take it so gently from our hands and it would stick out the side of his mouth like a stogie. :lol:

Ahhh....good times...good times :) :cry:

I apologize for resurrecting this old thread, but at this time of year I think of my inimitable Shadow and how, when he was gone, wee Jenna came to us and I believed he'd sent her for me to feel like living again. 😥

14 years seems at once like forever ago and no time at all. There are simply some friends that-although they're not necessarily in the forefront of your mind each day-they are unforgettable. Sometimes Ebon will get an expression on her face that reminds me of him. But the month of March will always carry the bookmark of his passing, very similar to Jenna's, and I only hope they are together somewhere, watching out for each other...and for me.

Miss you, boy. xxxxx

Ah, I'd never read about your Shadow before... It sounds like he was such a wonderful boy, and like you two had such a special relationship. How beautiful he was, too. I'm sending you hugs as you're thinking of him this time of the year.

I apologize for resurrecting this old thread, but at this time of year I think of my inimitable Shadow and how, when he was gone, wee Jenna came to us and I believed he'd sent her for me to feel like living again. 😥

14 years seems at once like forever ago and no time at all. There are simply some friends that-although they're not necessarily in the forefront of your mind each day-they are unforgettable. Sometimes Ebon will get an expression on her face that reminds me of him. But the month of March will always carry the bookmark of his passing, very similar to Jenna's, and I only hope they are together somewhere, watching out for each other...and for me.

Miss you, boy. xxxxx

No need to apologise at all

(((( hugs)))) xx

Back