• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spurs?

So sorry to hear about your bunny, hope he's getting better now, but guess it feels a bit relentless! Xx Mr Magoo is a tough cookie and has been through so much, but rabbits are such sensitive souls and I know how quick they can go downhill and how one problem can lead to another.

You're dead right there :thumb:

I've experienced veterinary negligence with one of my rabbits in the past. I now question everything the vet says and does. That doesn't prevent accidents happening though. It's very tough and very sad when that happens x

Pleased to report we've been eating and pooping as normal today. Stayed up late last night with him as he started to graze on hay and thankfully this has continued. Just not sure what to do now what with easter weekend coming up!

Pleased to report we've been eating and pooping as normal today. Stayed up late last night with him as he started to graze on hay and thankfully this has continued. Just not sure what to do now what with easter weekend coming up!

Good eating and pooping report. That's good enough for the moment :thumb:

Are you still giving him Metacam ? If so this might be addressing any some oral discomfort from spurs. Therefore I would be minded to ask your Vet to re-check Bo's teeth. If he already had some spurs then his recent bout of anorexia may have allowed them to worsen.It can happen in a very short space of time. The last thing you want is for it all to kick off again this weekend !!

He's not been on metacam or anorexia...wrong bun!

I thought that he had had some anorexia (lack of eating)

Hi all, I'll try and keep this brief! Yesterday morning got up to find bunny hadn't eaten any hay or pooped all night, he didn't even want his normal morning feed of pellets. So he went to vets in afternoon (his normal vet wasn't in). Couple of days before this he made a weird choking sound when eating hay, seemed a bit spooked then snapped out of it. I thought he might of cut inside of mouth. Vet checked and said all looked ok but gave him jab for pain relief, anti inflammatory and to get gut moving. Last night his behaviour was normal and started to eat again and poop! Was advised to take him back today (to see normal vet) who now says he has spurs on back teeth! My poor bun broke his jaw when very young (due to vet not handling him properly! )so always extra cautious with him and wary of all vets! He currently has 1/2 egg cup excel burgess pellets, timothy hay (from timothy hay.co.uk) and small amount of veg. Any advice on what I can do?

and that at one stage I thought you were going to obtain pain relief for him

Managed to get him to munch some hay and he's pooped so feel a bit calmer knowing that I won't need to call emergency vet tonight. The vets has another surgery which is open a couple of hours on a Sunday, so will call them tomorrow and see if i can get some metacam and rabbit recovery incase needed tomorrow. Then speak to vet on Monday about dental. Just feel so hopeless! Plus he's not covered for dental on his insurance due to his previous broken jaw which was the vets fault! I do everything i can for him and not good enough ��Just want him to be ok

I am totally confused now !!

Back