• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thinking about adopting a rabbit

rabbitacid

Young Bun
Hello all, lately I have been thinking about bringing a rabbit into the home. I think they are extremely adorable, and would love a cuddly companion.

Of course, there are concerns about adopting a rabbit. I own a ball python, two whites tree frogs, a horse, two dogs, and my sister has two sugar gliders. As you can see, a rabbit would be a big step for me as I am used to my scaly friends.

My favorite breed is the English Angora. I'm sure many will disagree on this as a first rabbit, but I am absolutely in love with the breed. Of course I understand that this would require weekly grooming if not more, and watching out for wool block.

My questions for you are:
1) how big of a cage do I need?
2) what is the easiest way of caging a rabbit?
3) do they poop a lot? I know with gliders poop just flows out of them!
4) do most rabbits enjoy cuddling?
5) what exactly should I feed my rabbit and how much? Of course there is hay and good quality pellets. What about other things, such as veggies, or fruit?
6) which pellets are the best quality?
7) do rabbits shed like a cat?
8) are they clean?
9) what toys, blankets and other things do they need? The gliders need various pouches and hammocks, and as much toys as you can give them. Are rabbits similar?
10) do they smell?
11) what can I do if I go on vacation? I go camping a fair bit in the summer, for weekends mostly. Do I bring my rabbit? What if I cannot find a pet sitter?
12) what are some good care sheets I can read?

I think that's all for now, I'm sure I will think of more questions;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok, I'll try give the best advice possible. Other people can probably give more detail.

1. Most people on here will not advocate buying a hutch, unless you get a really big one or custom made. It is usually cheaper to actually buy a shed.
2. Rabbits should not be caged... they need access to a run at all times. You need a hutch/shed, and a run that is at least 6 x 4.
3. Yes, rabbits poop non stop.
4. Some rabbits like being cuddled, some absolutely hate it. Most rabbits dislike being picked up. You can't force your rabbit to cuddle you though.
5. A rabbits diet should be like 95% hay, and then the rest green veg and pellets.
6. People on here usually reccommend SS or Burgess Excel.
7. Rabbits do moult yes.
8. Rabbits are generally very clean and look after themselves, but they do need help sometimes.
9. Good ideas for toys are toilet rolls and cardboard boxes. Pet shops sell like wicker balls and loofah chews as well.
10. No, I don't think they do smell.
11. Rabbits probably wouldn't like being moved out of their home while you are on holiday. You would be better off getting someone to come in and look after them.

Also, you shouldn't rehome just one rabbit. Rabbits should always be kept in pairs.

Thanks for the replies!

Wow, rabbits need a lot of space!

The ball python is really small, even when he's full grown any rabbit could seriously harm him, let alone him hurting the rabbit! He's also up high and In a very secure locked cage. Sorry if I seem defensive about him, but he's my baby;)

Alright, so I have been thinking through this whole caging thing. I was thinking that I could get a dog crate, and then let the rabbit have free range in my bedroom. My concern with this is that the rabbit would chew on the furniture or jump up onto the bed. I really prefer that there isn't rabbit poop in my bed... Any suggestions?

Hi, welcome to RU.

Thinking about adopting a rabbit.....excellent news, however bear in mind they are not easy to look after properly, can cost a small fortune one way or another, angora bunnies need grooming once or twice a day, solitary bunnies need much more attention that those living in pairs, some may chew the furniture, some may no, may jump on your bed , may poop on your bed.........don't get me wrong....I love bunnies, but no guarantees whatsoever, they will behave as they want too, need lots of space and toys to keep them mentally stimulated.... and also they are HIGH maintenance. Important things to consider beforehand. Not trying to put you off, just highlighting some things about them

Hi, welcome to RU.

Thinking about adopting a rabbit.....excellent news, however bear in mind they are not easy to look after properly, can cost a small fortune one way or another, angora bunnies need grooming once or twice a day, solitary bunnies need much more attention that those living in pairs, some may chew the furniture, some may no, may jump on your bed , may poop on your bed.........don't get me wrong....I love bunnies, but no guarantees whatsoever, they will behave as they want too, need lots of space and toys to keep them mentally stimulated.... and also they are HIGH maintenance. Important things to consider beforehand. Not trying to put you off, just highlighting some things about them

Thank you! This is what I need to know... Because as cute as they are, they can be a handful as you have said. What would you suggest for housing arrangements?

Hi, if you search the Forum.. There's hundreds of ideas for indoor housing in the HOUSING section.

All the best

A dog crate can be a great housing option but only if it is attached to a permanent exercise area such as an exercise pen and the area needs to be quite large! A rabbit should never be locked in even a large dog crate for any length of time. They will simply get frustrated, lots of people lock them in the dog crate overnight to ''sleep'' but do not realize that rabbits do not necessarily sleep when we do. Often a rabbit wants to be active in the early hours of the morning and at dusk, when we are thinking about being in bed! Locking them in during their most active hours can lead to frustration and bad behaviours.

The Rabbit Welfare Association now recommends a permanent exercise area of 10 foot by 6 foot!

Alright, so I have been thinking through this whole caging thing. I was thinking that I could get a dog crate, and then let the rabbit have free range in my bedroom. My concern with this is that the rabbit would chew on the furniture or jump up onto the bed. I really prefer that there isn't rabbit poop in my bed... Any suggestions?

Rabbits chew everything. Literally everything. One of my indoor rabbits ripped the wallpaper off the wall and ate it. And my other one chewed through every wire he could ever find.
If you think about it, in the wild a rabbit would cover an area that is larger than 30 football pitches, so they really should not be caged. They aren't an easy pet as everyone thinks they are. Do you have access to any outside space?
You need to consider health requirements as well, I assume you would get them vaccinated every year. When rabbits get ill, they can deteriorate quite quickly, and sometimes they can hide it quite well unless you know what you are looking for. I would recommend buying a rabbit care book and reading through, as it tells you the kind of symptoms to look out for.

How into the whole cuddling idea are you? If you wanted a cuddlier pet, guinea pigs are more happy to be cuddled than rabbits, on the whole. They also need less space.

I'm afraid my suggestion would probably be try another pet!! Rabbits are naturally quite destructive - it does of course vary a lot with the individual bunny, and neutered rabbits tend to be less destructive than unneutered ones, but they retain many wild tendencies like latrine marking things that smell of other people (like your bed) and chewing on wires, carpets and anything that might be in their way :) Rabbits are amazing little creatures but they are very complex and require large housing - keeping them caged most of the time and then only supervised time out to play won't result in a happy rabbit - think about how many hours per day you would be able to interact with your bunny and then subtract that number from 24...this will tell you how many hours each day your bunny will be alone. It's best to keep them in neutered pairs so they have constant company, but of course this doubles the cost, mess, smell, destruction...

From the sound of the type of animals you already have and your desire for a cuddly companion who isn't going to be destructive, I honestly would choose a different pet!

Yeah I agree with the others...not all rabbits chew - mine are quite good - but you need to be ok with the possibility that they might because there is a high chance that they will chew. Or keep hopping up on your bed and peeing/pooing on it. And like others have said, a dog crate isn't sufficient and you also need a pair of rabbits.

Rabbits are great pets though, and from what I've heard english angora tend to be cuddlier than most. If maybe you could house them outside (where do you live?) so that you wouldn't need to worry about destruction?

Back