• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello

jrainbow

New Kit
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum- just joined this morning. I wasn't sure where to post so thought I' start with a hello :)

I have 2 mini lops a buck and a doe. My doe is only young so they aren't bonded yet. I've joined the forum just to see if there is anyone who can give me some advice. I may have to rehome by lovely lops because I am moving up North from Suffolk and my new garden isn't very big. My bunnies love their big garden and they definitely wouldn't like being house rabbits! They stomp if I try to bring them in :) Also my health isn't very good and I'm scared I wont be able to give them the time or attention they deserve. I absolutely adore them both and the thought of giving them up is heart-breaking which is why I can't make a decision, however I don't want to leave it to the last minute.

If rehoming turns out to be the best option for them I only want them going to good homes so if anyone has any tips or suggestions they would be very welcome.

Thank you :) J x

My doe is just over 3 months old. My buck has been neutered, he's almost 2 years old.

I'm assuming then that your buck has been neutered long enough for his hormones to have died down (about 10 wks). I wonder whether you could start bonding them now, following all the usual 'rules' about completely neutral area etc. this would make your life a lot easier and would make for much happier rabbits. You could then invest in a large hutch, with run attached, to house them both. Yes, you will have to separate temporarily when your doe is ready to be spayed, but only for a very short time.

As long as their hutch is large enough and they have permanent access to a large attached run, they should be fine. You never know, when you move you may able to rabbit-proof the garden so they have occasional, supervised, free range time.

As they will be bonded you won't need to give them as much attention as at the moment - they will be very happy in each other's company.

Have a look at the housing section, there are some really good ideas.

Yes he was neutered at a young age because I took him and his sister together- who I unfortunately lost last year. I would love to bond them but I've been given so much conflicting advice I wasn't sure what to do. At first I was told to put them together then I was told to keep them apart until she was spayed. They can't get to each other but they do see and smell each other every day. Bonding them would make life a lot easier, especially if I keep them when I move house.

At the moment my buck has a shed and my doe is in a hutch. If all goes well with bonding I was planning to house them in a shed but that's not possible as the garden is too small, so I'd definitely need a bigger hutch. My buck has been spoiled and is practically free range all day (there is always someone at home to keep an eye on him). When he feels confined he digs so I do worry that he'll dig out of the new garden. If I put paving slabs down there wont be any grass left. I'm not sure I could grow it faster than they eat it :)

It's so much to think about but yes if I can bond them they wont need as much attention. I just feel guilty about them losing their garden. Thanks for your help! I don't move until the summer so I've got plenty of time.

Don't feel guilty - they'll love you forever if you manage to bond them! ;)

I'm going to see if anyone can give you some advice.

I hope so. My buck is rather awkward. He doesn't really like human attention that's why I got him a friend. Thanks for your help, this website is great. I've managed to get lots of info from here on various things :) Hopefully things will work out, I feel unsettled not knowing what's happening. I feel ever so guilty about talking about rehoming so one day I'm certain that I'm keeping them but then when my health gets bad I can't always manage. I'm sorry to be a pain!! I love them too much to not worry about them.

Back