• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Facial Swelling

Phoned. They hadn't started her. I'd just started to relax thinking all must be ok, but back to feeling sick with worry. They were taking her down shortly, so she's probably being operated on now :(

Phoned. They hadn't started her. I'd just started to relax thinking all must be ok, but back to feeling sick with worry. They were taking her down shortly, so she's probably being operated on now :(

Oh poor you, it is so stressful when that happens. I'll keep sending the vibes for Lola, hopefully you wont have to wait too much longer for an update xx

Tried phoning a few times, but going straight to a voicemail saying they are busy with an inpatient so have left a message.
I literally have got to the point that I can't do anything now until I hear. It's consuming every thought and I'm getting really panicky :(

Tried phoning a few times, but going straight to a voicemail saying they are busy with an inpatient so have left a message.
I literally have got to the point that I can't do anything now until I hear. It's consuming every thought and I'm getting really panicky :(

(((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))) I understand.

I am sure if anything bad had occurred the Vet would have called you immediately.

Thank you Jane x

I'm such a worrier, I work myself up into such a state. If anything awful happened I know there is nothing I can do, just the not knowing is awful.

I'm sorry, it's so very difficult.

Sending loads and loads of vibes for a successful operation. I had a rabbit that had what sounds to be the same as what Lola now has. He was my first ever bunny and my soulmate. I was beside myself with worry so I know what it's like ...

Try and occupy yourself from moment to moment ... time will pass ... Keep yourself very busy xx

((((((HUGS)))))))

Thank you x

I am at work so trying to keep busy but finding it really hard to focus on anything. I'm sure, I hope, it won't be long until they call back.

Thank you x

I am at work so trying to keep busy but finding it really hard to focus on anything. I'm sure, I hope, it won't be long until they call back.

I hope they call back soon. She may be in recovery and they just want to make sure all is well before calling you ..... :love:

Thank you Jane x

I'm such a worrier, I work myself up into such a state. If anything awful happened I know there is nothing I can do, just the not knowing is awful.

I'm the same. I try not to allow lots of negative thinking to take over, but it's easier said than done

Hopefully not long now til you hear how Lola is doing xx

She is fine! She is still sleepy and in recovery but it all went well, everything was fully dealt with. There must not have been any extra nasties when the vet opened her up, as she said she'd phone me if anything extra needed doing.
So so excited to go for her later. Hopefully I'll be there for around 7pm and I can bring her home :D

She is fine! She is still sleepy and in recovery but it all went well, everything was fully dealt with. There must not have been any extra nasties when the vet opened her up, as she said she'd phone me if anything extra needed doing.
So so excited to go for her later. Hopefully I'll be there for around 7pm and I can bring her home :D

Thank goodness !!

So happy for you both. I hope that Lola will make a really good recovery xx

Bex this is wonderful news!

I am so pleased for you and Lola! You seem to have a wonderful vet - good luck tonight!
What a brave little girl she is :D

Finally got home with Lola an hour ago. She looks like she's had half her face removed with all her fur gone! I haven't properly seen the wound yet, I think it's right under her chin so that'll be fun to try and get to in the morning!
She's very very quiet, but she's also bright eyed and alert. She seems to have settled her self down comfortably. She's had a little look around her, I think she's still quite wobbly on her legs. She's had a small drink of water from a bowl and a little wash. She's got some food in with her which she had a sniff of, shortly going to give her her jab of vetergesic and her septrin and offer her some food by syringe. Then in the morning we start with the cleaning, penicillin, more septrin, more painkiller etc!
The vet found she had a fracture near her tooth root which is where the infection got in. Not sure how the fracture got there, but possibly by knocking her face on something so goodness knows what she has been up to! The swelling on her face is probably the infection starting to track elsewhere.
I only saw the nurse tonight, who wasn't 100% sure on everything as she hadn't been in the surgery but she said it would be a good idea for me to call and speak to Honor tomorrow to talk through it all.
I keep jumping every time I hear a noise from her cage!

Glad to read that Lola is home, hope she's more herself in the morning. You could try taking a pic of her chin or holding a mirror underneath to see the wound without too much hassle! If you use a phone put it on silent so it doesn't click or even take a video.

Sending lots of healing vibes x

So glad to hear she is home and doing well. :) More healing vibes coming your way for Lola. xxxx

Thank you!

Taking a picture is a good idea, I will attempt in the morning.

I have learnt she is certainly not wobbly on her legs. She made several escapes from me whilst medicating! However she sat very still for her injection which I was greatful for!
She had a tiny amount of syringe food but hardly any at all, she was more interested in leaping back into her cage. She did pick up a bit of veg and had a teeny nibble. I've left her with some herbs, soft pellets and her bowl of water. She's flopped out resting now and I am doing the same!
I hope I have more success with feeding her in the morning if she's not had anything herself. It's hard to keep her restrained, I don't want to hurt her face and I don't want her upset and stressed.

Thank you!

I have learnt she is certainly not wobbly on her legs. She made several escapes from me whilst medicating! However she sat very still for her injection which I was greatful for!
She had a tiny amount of syringe food but hardly any at all, she was more interested in leaping back into her cage. She did pick up a bit of veg and had a teeny nibble. I've left her with some herbs, soft pellets and her bowl of water. She's flopped out resting now and I am doing the same!
I hope I have more success with feeding her in the morning if she's not had anything herself. It's hard to keep her restrained, I don't want to hurt her face and I don't want her upset and stressed.

Awww so glad to get home tonight and see that Lola is home and the vet has done a good job :thumb:

I hope you manage to speak with the vet tomorrow to clarify all that's happened ... I guess the nurse gave you all the info on what to do from now on with the abscess etc?

I hope you all have a peaceful night. You deserve it! x

Thank you!

How is Lola doing this morning ?

Back