• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grass between flags?

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Hello, not been here for a while - new job etc been very busy of late! Hope everyone and their furry friends are doing well!!
I'm back for some advice please! I made the first steps today in revamping the rabbits run, by taking most of the stuff out! Besides the digging pit and tunnel and a shelter hut, I've cleared it. I only did it last spring but it's proved not very practical as the rabbits poop EVERYWHERE!! It's currently got decking tiles in (over mesh) I thought it would be really easy to keep clean but it's not really so I'm thinking of laying paving stones over it. I've seen pics of 'ways to have grass in your rabbits run' type things showing paving stones with gaps between them, maybe 3" or so where it's grass, but not convinced they still won't dig it up and kill the roots? Has anyone tried it?

And does anyone have any recommendations of tried and tested run floors considering I have very poopy bunnies? :lol:

Hello happybun :wave: I have a few changes planned for this spring/summer - for the shed mainly just stuff I didn't get around to doing/couldn't afford to do last year! The run has just (once again!) proved impractical so needs a bit of an overhaul! Luckily the digging pit is a hit and has 'weathered' well! :D

Hello :wave: not tried paving slabs with grass, mine have got wood chips down in their run, which is a pain to clean, but thankfully they don't poop out there much at all. Could you try a covered litter tray outside? Maybe they want an outside toilet :lol:

Thanks Zoobec :wave: Suppose I could try a litter tray, just not keen on the idea of hay outside, I am planning on getting corrugated plastic roof putting on the run soon as well so maybe that will help keep a tray drier and make poops easier to sweep up if they're not getting wet in the rain!

I think someone used a large tall lidded storage box for a litter tray and cut a hole in the side as an entrance, that would keep the hay dryer :thumb;

3" is plenty of space for them to dig it up! If you move the run about they MIGHT be less likely to dig: they'll get newer grass so won't eat the whole lot AND the roots (unless they're just diggers and dig for digging's sake!?). But that might not be possible, of course. Grass has a curious way of finding its way into awkward places though, so even just butting the slabs together might encourage some grass growth?

Thanks keletkezes :wave: Their run is permanent (aviary style) so can't be moved around, but I am planning on getting them a grazing run too which will be moveable :D

Last edited:
Hi! It may be more practical to slab the entire run and have grass in growing trays or big pots.will be easier to clean and renew grass. I have block paving so mine have turf in pots and large trays and like the different height levels :D

Thanks (just remembered how to reply to individual comments haha :lol:) I think that's what I've come round to thinking myself! I've seen some where they've grown grass in trays but through mesh or slats so the roots don't get eaten and the grass will regrow, just need to decide what's safest if they stand on it (which they will!) so thinking probably small mesh so no feet can get stuck! Hmm another little project for me :D

Maybe not - forgot to click 'reply with quote' whoops!!

:D Can't help there as thankfully mine don't dig roots up (yet!) But if they did I just get another roll of turf at B n Q ;)

Thanks Zoobec :wave: Suppose I could try a litter tray, just not keen on the idea of hay outside, I am planning on getting corrugated plastic roof putting on the run soon as well so maybe that will help keep a tray drier and make poops easier to sweep up if they're not getting wet in the rain!

An outdoor litter tray solved this problem for me, just a small corner one so its changed often enough to not get too wet.
I don't put any hay in it, hay goes in the indoor rack over another tray, but they still favour the one outside [emoji4]

You could have some shallow trays that slot into gaps between the slabs (mesh underneath) and then swap out the trays when they dig out/eat the grass.

We have litter trays outside. They are hooded cat ones. The trick is to find ones without filters in the top so they are pretty much water proof. Our rabbits all love theirs. They use them a lot which keeps their inside housing much cleaner which is always a bonus. They also like to sit on top of the lids :)

You could have some shallow trays that slot into gaps between the slabs (mesh underneath) and then swap out the trays when they dig out/eat the grass.

Excellent idea, I was thinking of something along those lines as I'll be lucky if the paving slabs fit the run exactly so I'd thought about leaving some spaces to do something like that! :D

We have litter trays outside. They are hooded cat ones. The trick is to find ones without filters in the top so they are pretty much water proof. Our rabbits all love theirs. They use them a lot which keeps their inside housing much cleaner which is always a bonus. They also like to sit on top of the lids :)

I'm going to look out for one thanks :thumb:

Back