• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best age to spay a bunny??

Laura325630

Young Bun
Hi all, I'm just wondering when is the best time to get a female bunny spayed. Mine is currently 15 weeks old so I need to start thinking about I soon I think? :)

Thanks.

The usual stated age to spay a female rabbit is 4 - 5 months. However, that's the youngest age, and as Tonibun has said, 6 months is a better bet as she will be stronger to withstand what is quite a big operation.

I would advise you to sort out a very good vet for yourself ahead of time if you've not already got one. If she isn't yet vaccinated, you could use that opportunity to sound out a potential vet to spay her, one that you would be very happy and confident with.

Hi all, I'm just wondering when is the best time to get a female bunny spayed. Mine is currently 15 weeks old so I need to start thinking about I soon I think? :)

Thanks.

Generally speaking the best age to spay a Doe is about 5-6 months of age. Some Vets will not spay a Doe if she is especially small-ie under 1kg. So whilst smaller Rabbits are sexually mature at 5 months the Vet may still not want to spay them if they are less than 1kg in weight. Giant Rabbits mature later than smaller breeds, about 6-8 months of age. Personally I would not want to spay a Giant Doe until she was at least 7 months of age.

I would do your research into finding a really good Rabbit Savvy Vet if you do not already have one. A Rabbit Savvy Vet will have vast experience with neutering Rabbits, will offer a full and detailed explanation of the procedure including pre and post surgical care and will definitely prescribe analgesic cover for your Doe for a few days after surgery. Any Vet who told me that pain relief after a spay is not necessary would not get within a mile of my Rabbit !!

Is your Doe vaccinated yet ? If not it would be a good idea to get that done now. That would give your Doe time to establish a full immune response to the vaccine, which takes 3 weeks, before she has her spay. Getting the vaccination done would be a good opportunity to 'interview' the Vet to make sure that you are confident about them :)

Thanks all, some really good advice there. I have been researching vets recently because I want to get her vaccinated very soon. There are 4 that are close to me - How do you decide? There is a Vets4Pets which has really good reviews but they are all for cats and dogs. The other 3 are independent vets. The one closest to me has been recommended by a friend but he has a dog! Its very difficult knowing who to trust a small rabbit with isnt it.

I think I will research some more and see I can find anyone with rabbits who have been to these vets and not dogs! Its a fab idea to 'test' them when I take her for her jabs :)

Thanks, I searched on their vet page and the one closest to me is listed. I might take her their for her jabs this week and see what I think. It would be a lot better as its only a 2 minute drive from my house. I dont fancy driving 20 minutes ish with her after she has been spayed.

Aww that's fab! Good luck! :)

I've got my little girl being done next month, and eek it's scary! Best of luck and hope you like them x

I'm not looking forward to it at all. I am hoping to have it done on a Thursday, I dont work Friday's so I will have 3 days at home to make sure she is ok. I might even sleep downstairs with her for the first night!! (I'm still surprised that this little rabbit has changed our lives so much!!) :)

I'm not looking forward to it at all. I am hoping to have it done on a Thursday, I dont work Friday's so I will have 3 days at home to make sure she is ok. I might even sleep downstairs with her for the first night!! (I'm still surprised that this little rabbit has changed our lives so much!!) :)

Aww bless you.. And I was thinking of doing exactly the same!! :)

Completly with you their, I've got 2 and they are certainly tinkers, our bungalow has basically been taken over by them but wouldn't change them! :love:

Thanks, I searched on their vet page and the one closest to me is listed. I might take her their for her jabs this week and see what I think. It would be a lot better as its only a 2 minute drive from my house. I dont fancy driving 20 minutes ish with her after she has been spayed.

You could always ring your prospective vets and ask them approx how many rabbit spays they do per year. Also ask them if they do external or internal stitches (internal means there'll be nothing for your little tinker to pull at when she comes home!). Ask them if they routinely give does pain relief after the op.

Perhaps you could pop along and talk with them - reception/nurses and see how you get on with them. And as I suggested, use the vaccination appointment to 'vet' the vet :D

Back