• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice Please on Female Bunny medical problems

Mel D

Warren Scout
Hello I have a female Bunny called Poppy , ever since reaching maturaty her gut kept slowing down she would become very hormonal, the vet has done blood tests, stool tests, ultrasound, xrays and thought he could see a lump on her ovary, he says get her spayed to see if her symptoms improve, she had an emergency spay even though her gut had slowed down and thankfully she survived the anasetic. She was on fibreplex, zantac, metaclop and metacam for 5 days and she had to wear a e collar tostop her lickibg her wound. Shes been off the meds now for 5 days and yesterday I thought she had got better loads of eating and pooping. Her spay wound keeps filling up with fluid she has had it syringed twice now but after coming back from the vets today even though she is eating properly and drinking she hasnt passed stools since this morning. I dont understand why as she is eating properly and gaining weight. Shes not a very good hay eater and prefers her fruit , veg, grass, dandelions and it seems while she is on fibreplex shes fine. Has anyone got any ideas on a slow gut or anything that may help. Thank you

Hi, If she hasn't been pooing all day I would contact your vet asap as this is serious & needs prompt treatment. It sounds like there is not enough fibre in her diet so I would cut out the fruit as it is not good for them due to the high sugar content. Veg can be very filling & some greens like cabbage & kale can cause gas build up & too much hard feed can cause problems too. This should help to increase her hay eating & hopefully keep her gut moving. Hope your bun will be ok.

Hi, If she hasn't been pooing all day I would contact your vet asap as this is serious & needs prompt treatment. It sounds like there is not enough fibre in her diet so I would cut out the fruit as it is not good for them due to the high sugar content. Veg can be very filling & some greens like cabbage & kale can cause gas build up & too much hard feed can cause problems too. This should help to increase her hay eating & hopefully keep her gut moving. Hope your bun will be ok.

Thank you for your reply, I will cut her fruit and veg down and increase the hay, shes just started to pass stools now thank goodness, its just she did some around 9 this morning but nothing all day till this evening and now shes done over 100, her gut seems slow but she has always been like this ever since i bought her. Would grass be ok to give her as well as hay or just stick to the hay? Thank you

Thank you for your reply, I will cut her fruit and veg down and increase the hay, shes just started to pass stools now thank goodness, its just she did some around 9 this morning but nothing all day till this evening and now shes done over 100, her gut seems slow but she has always been like this ever since i bought her. Would grass be ok to give her as well as hay or just stick to the hay? Thank you

Grass is also good for bunnies. If they are not used to grass, best to go slowly with it to begin with. New grass may be rich and can upset tummies, although I have never had a bunny yet who suffered ill effects from it :)

Readigrass (freeze dried grass) is also very good for teeth and digestion x

Grass is also good for bunnies. If they are not used to grass, best to go slowly with it to begin with. New grass may be rich and can upset tummies, although I have never had a bunny yet who suffered ill effects from it :)

Readigrass (freeze dried grass) is also very good for teeth and digestion x

Thank you will look for that hay for her.
I have tried nearly every type of hay in the shops she doesnt

Back