• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mal's neuter and teeth

I've got him home now. It was a lot more involved at the vets than I thought unfortunately :( They DID have to rasp his teeth as well while he was out. Wish they'd told me that when they called. He's got pain relief and a followup appointment on Monday morning. Poor lil guy looks a bit shellshocked.

But on the plus side he's had a good drink of water and a few bites of hay now he's back in his house. Oh, and he's done some poos.

I'm going to pop out to pick up some parsley to tempt him with. Is there anything else I need to do or can do to help him?

I am glad to hear that Mal is home. He sounds to be doing well so far. My Rabbits tend to go for Coriander above all other fresh herbs, so you could try Mal with some of that as well as the parsley. A few dandelion leaves may tempt him too. He will probably remain rather subdued this evening, but as long as he has a warm but not too warm place to rest with food and water nearby then try not to worry too much. It can be anxiety provoking to see a normally lively Rabbit very quiet. By tomorrow morning I expect he will be much brighter, even if not 100% back to normal.

He will need his 'bits' checked in the morning to make sure that all looks clean and dry and that there is not a lot of swelling/bruising. I usually give my post castration Bucks some Arnica (with my Vet's agreement) as this can reduce bruising. Best not to give anything like that to Mal without asking his Vet first though.

Sending lots of healing vibes for your little lad xx

Thanks MightyMax and Jack's-Jane. It's so hard not to worry. He looks so quiet and sad, I'm used to him running up to greet me. He's taken a few bits of parsley and an apple slice from my hands, but he's really just sitting on his bed looking sorry for himself and not wanting anything else :( Poor lil guy. There are quite a few poos in his tray and on the newspaper though so at least that bit's still working at the moment.

Thanks MightyMax and Jack's-Jane. It's so hard not to worry. He looks so quiet and sad, I'm used to him running up to greet me. He's taken a few bits of parsley and an apple slice from my hands, but he's really just sitting on his bed looking sorry for himself and not wanting anything else :( Poor lil guy. There are quite a few poos in his tray and on the newspaper though so at least that bit's still working at the moment.

Awwwww bless him. I am sure that after a good night's rest he will be feeling a lot better. Maybe a bit sore still, but not nearly so groggy. I expect he'll soon be back to his normal cheeky self. Do keep us updated about his progress over the weekend xx

We certainly do worry about our little ones!

I'm glad he's at least eating something, and pooing - good news there :thumb:
They do look a bit downcast when they've had some procedure or another. Guess he's a bit sore still. Poor lad :love:

I hope he gets back to his cheeky self in a day or so ... or even sooner! xx

Awwwww bless him. I am sure that after a good night's rest he will be feeling a lot better. Maybe a bit sore still, but not nearly so groggy. I expect he'll soon be back to his normal cheeky self. Do keep us updated about his progress over the weekend xx

Oh I will :) I really want to be able to say tomorrow that he's gorging on hay and coming up to try and trip me over like usual.

We certainly do worry about our little ones!

I'm glad he's at least eating something, and pooing - good news there :thumb:
They do look a bit downcast when they've had some procedure or another. Guess he's a bit sore still. Poor lad :love:

I hope he gets back to his cheeky self in a day or so ... or even sooner! xx

Oh so do I. He's such a little character :)

I hope Mal has had a restful night and that he is feeling brighter this morning xx

He's not anything like his normal self :( he doesn't want to move about. He ate some broccoli, carrot and a very few biscuits over night. There's poo and wee in his tray. But he's just sat there and didn't grab the parsley out of my hand like yesterday.

I have to get the vet to look at him again. I feel so badly for him.

He's not anything like his normal self :( he doesn't want to move about. He ate some broccoli, carrot and a very few biscuits over night. There's poo and wee in his tray. But he's just sat there and didn't grab the parsley out of my hand like yesterday.

I have to get the vet to look at him again. I feel so badly for him.

He is no doubt feeling bruised down below and his teeth may feel a bit sensitive too. Rather like how our teeth can feel if we are a bit over vigorous with flossing. Try not to worry too much (rich coming from me, the mistress of neurosis, I know!) Some more pain relief for Mal and lots more TLC should help considerably. The fact that he has eaten a little, poo'd and wee'd is brilliant news. I am sure he just needs a bit more time. Ask any bloke who has had their balls cut how they feel less than 24 hours later and I am sure they would have no trouble telling you in very plain language !! All Bucks can do is remain 'quiet' until the soreness wears off

Lots more vibes being sent xx

He is no doubt feeling bruised down below and his teeth may feel a bit sensitive too. Rather like how our teeth can feel if we are a bit over vigorous with flossing. Try not to worry too much (rich coming from me, the mistress of neurosis, I know!) Some more pain relief for Mal and lots more TLC should help considerably. The fact that he has eaten a little, poo'd and wee'd is brilliant news. I am sure he just needs a bit more time. Ask any bloke who has had their balls cut how they feel less than 24 hours later and I am sure they would have no trouble telling you in very plain language !! All Bucks can do is remain 'quiet' until the soreness wears off

Lots more vibes being sent xx

My husband said exactly the same thing. ;) you've made me feel a bit calmer, thanks :) Mal has just had a hissy fit and ripped up the newspaper lining his bed, so he has some go left in him anyway!

My husband said exactly the same thing. ;) you've made me feel a bit calmer, thanks :) Mal has just had a hissy fit and ripped up the newspaper lining his bed, so he has some go left in him anyway!

A bit of 'trashing' is a good sign !! Just watch out for low flying litter trays :shock:

A bit of 'trashing' is a good sign !! Just watch out for low flying litter trays :shock:

Just back from vet. Poor Mal is more swollen than they'd expect down there :( he's had more pain relief and an injection to help his gut. The vet was very good, said that we could bring him back at any point and they wouldn't charge emergency callout even on Sunday.

He's had a few more biscuits and I'm going to get him some grass from outside.

Just back from vet. Poor Mal is more swollen than they'd expect down there :( he's had more pain relief and an injection to help his gut. The vet was very good, said that we could bring him back at any point and they wouldn't charge emergency callout even on Sunday.

Hopefully the pain relief will kick in quickly. Mal is doing really well to still be eating a little for himself. I really hope that by this evening you will see a big improvement

Ah poor wee soul.

If you can get any arnica from Boots or a health food shop today, give him several doses today. It works magic on reducing swelling of a male's testicles after castration x

Back