• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxomatosis

TheTigerThief

Warren Scout
There's an outbreak of myxomatosis currently in my town, and since in Australia we have no access to the vaccine I was wondering what preventative measures I could take to keep my buns safe? I'm trying to convince my mother to let me keep them inside in a spare room, but she's quite adamant about keeping them out in their hutch (because they are "animals and belong outside." :? I also can't seem to convince her they are litter trained.) I'm aware of mosquito netting, but is there anything else I can do to protect them whilst they're outside? I know keeping them indoors is definitely the best solution here, but in the case I can't bring them inside what else can I do to protect them?

I think the netting would be a great idea and possibly a flea preventative treatment? I hope someone else with more knowledge will come along and help you, sending lots of 'stay safe' vibes for your bunnies xx

Citronella essential oil is good for repelling flies and mosquitos. Put several drops onto a piece of cloth and hang it on the outside of the hutch, out of reach of bunny so he can't come into contact with it or nibble it. I usually top it up daily to keep the smell good and strong.

I hope your bunny stays safe. xx

I think the netting would be a great idea and possibly a flea preventative treatment? I hope someone else with more knowledge will come along and help you, sending lots of 'stay safe' vibes for your bunnies xx

That's a good idea, I will look into flea treatment options. Thanks! :)

Citronella essential oil is good for repelling flies and mosquitos. Put several drops onto a piece of cloth and hang it on the outside of the hutch, out of reach of bunny so he can't come into contact with it or nibble it. I usually top it up daily to keep the smell good and strong.

I hope your bunny stays safe. xx

Interesting, I will have to see if I can get any around town. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

I struggled to get citronella oil locally but managed to get it from eBay/Amazon :thumb: keeping the hutch scrupulously clean will help to keep flies away too.

I struggled to get citronella oil locally but managed to get it from eBay/Amazon :thumb: keeping the hutch scrupulously clean will help to keep flies away too.

Yes, I had the same problem and had to get some off Ebay.

The only other thing I can think of as well as the netting is to keep them as high off the ground as possible. Hope they keep safe.

Well I might just order it then. Hehe, I'm pretty anal about keeping their hutch nice and clean anyway, it does definitely keep the flies down. Thanks! :)

The only other thing I can think of as well as the netting is to keep them as high off the ground as possible. Hope they keep safe.

Alright, thankyou! :)

I'd also try to remove any standing water, such as rain collection buckets. Use pond netting over garden ponds. Mozzies, one of the main vectors of Myxo, are attracted to standing water.

There's an outbreak of myxomatosis currently in my town, and since in Australia we have no access to the vaccine I was wondering what preventative measures I could take to keep my buns safe? I'm trying to convince my mother to let me keep them inside in a spare room, but she's quite adamant about keeping them out in their hutch (because they are "animals and belong outside." :? I also can't seem to convince her they are litter trained.) I'm aware of mosquito netting, but is there anything else I can do to protect them whilst they're outside? I know keeping them indoors is definitely the best solution here, but in the case I can't bring them inside what else can I do to protect them?

I have used:

Netting (the type you use at windows sometimes)
Citronella and lemon oil scrubbed into the frame of their dwelling
A 'mountain breeze' which is like an oil diffuser (my rabbits were in a shed so don't know how this would work for you) ... contains a pad which you soak in oil and emits a little breeze of lemon smell.
Fly papers hung up inside
A natural fly repellant on them
Removed all buckets of water as standing water attracts mosquitos
Homeopathic nosodes of myxi and vhd

Hope something helps x

its a shame we can't send you some vaccine over :(
citronella works great, I put citronella tea lights on the outside of my shed (not lit) and they really keep flies away x

Back