• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

what is the best age

Rita

Warren Scout
hello my little man is now 12 weeks. what is the best age to have him castrated. is it best to wait until he has come to full maturity.
did anyone have any problems after they have been done. just want to get it right for him.

Hi :wave: my first boy Stu wasn't done till about 8'months and was perfectly fine if a little dramatic when we came home :shock:

My other two were done as soon as the plums arrived at about 16 weeks :evil: they can thru much better :) I don't think they even realised they had them yet :D

Good luck :D

Bucks can be castrated as soon as their testicles descend. That should happen at about 12-14 weeks of age. A castration is usually a relatively straightforward procedure and most Bucks recover quickly and are 100% back to normal within 48 hours. It is important to check the surgical wound a couple of times a day to make sure there is not a lot of swelling/bruising and that the area is clean and dry. Many Vets use a surgical glue for external wound closure and that means the Buck wont nibble at sutures. The Buck should be prevented from jumping up onto anything for a few days after the op, but generally it is not necessary to keep them caged.

A Buck can remain fertile for up to 6 weeks post castration, so it is important that he does not have access to an entire Doe during that time.

hello my little man is now 12 weeks. what is the best age to have him castrated. is it best to wait until he has come to full maturity.
did anyone have any problems after they have been done. just want to get it right for him.

Bucks can be castrated any time from their testicles dropping. At the Mayhew Animal Home Rescue Centre we always used to wait until bucks were 16 weeks old to give them the best chance under the anaesthetic.

Keep a close eye on the wounds and any 'painful looking' behaviour ... it's possible one or both of the testicles may fill up with blood (hematoma) but there are ways of relieving this soreness for the bunny. It doesn't happen often x

Bucks can be castrated as soon as their testicles descend. That should happen at about 12-14 weeks of age. A castration is usually a relatively straightforward procedure and most Bucks recover quickly and are 100% back to normal within 48 hours. It is important to check the surgical wound a couple of times a day to make sure there is not a lot of swelling/bruising and that the area is clean and dry. Many Vets use a surgical glue for external wound closure and that means the Buck wont nibble at sutures. The Buck should be prevented from jumping up onto anything for a few days after the op, but generally it is not necessary to keep them caged.

A Buck can remain fertile for up to 6 weeks post castration, so it is important that he does not have access to an entire Doe during that time.

thank you for that information, never realized that they can remain fertile for that length of time.

thank you for that information, never realized that they can remain fertile for that length of time.

The Rabbit Welfare Association states that a male rabbit can remain fertile for up to four weeks after castration xx
Do you have an entire doe who you are waiting to bond him with?

he's with a girl bunny at the moment, i am dreading separating them as they love each other. she's two weeks older then him. just so worried about re-bonding them.

Yep, in the early days of having Pet Rabbits I found that out the hard way !! I had a Buck castrated and he managed to impregnate THREE Does 5 and a bit weeks after his op :shock: I gained an additional 15 Rabbits as a result :shock:

Here's a few of them

Picture674.jpg

Last edited:
he's with a girl bunny at the moment, i am dreading separating them as they love each other. she's two weeks older then him. just so worried about re-bonding them.

I took on four orphaned siblings a number of years ago, three girls and one boy, Pepper. I had to separate Pepper from his three sisters (I think I did that at 10 weeks) and I had him castrated at about 12-13 weeks. I then waited 4 weeks and reintegrated him back with his three sisters. They were all still young, so rebonded really easily. The quad includes some stroppy and bossy characters, yet it still went OK and they all accepted each other.

Maybe you could try and keep them near to each other, in pens side-by-side, so that they still have contact with each other. I did this when the girls had their spays a few months later, just while they recovered I kept Pepper separate in an adjoining pen.

Aaaww I can see why you wouldn't want to separate them :love:

I would keep them in sight of each other when the time comes to split them up - pens side by side or however works best for you. Once the doe has healed and he's well out of fertile territory, I don't think you will have a problem rebonding. x

Back