• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

what do you all use

Rita

Warren Scout
hello all

could you tell me what you use to keep flea's and worms at bay.
do you de-flea and de-worm your rabbits on a regular basis.
i have bought some flystrike for when it get's warmer.

Hi. I don't use anything unless I think they've been exposed to risk. I've yet to see a flea on any of the bunnies I've had over the last 25 years and if I want to de-worm or treat for EC, I'd use Panacur 10% liquid.

hello all

could you tell me what you use to keep flea's and worms at bay.
do you de-flea and de-worm your rabbits on a regular basis.
i have bought some flystrike for when it get's warmer.

Hello

I only give a new intake Rabbit a one off 28 day course of Fenbendazole (Panacur/Lapizole) as a means of EC control. I do not treat the Rabbit again unless clinical symptoms of EC present

I do not routinely de-worm a Rabbit for intestinal parasites

I do not routinely flea treat a Rabbit unless there is a specific need- eg known exposure to a case of Myxomatosis or if there were to be a known VHD outbreak locally.

I do not use any chemical Fly-Strike protection. I prefer to maintain good husbandry, carry out regular bum checks (3-4 times a day) and use fly deterrents as and when necessary. In 18 years of carrying for Rabbits, including some profoundly disabled/incontinent Rabbits and Rabbits with open wounds I have not had a case of Flystrike. I am not saying that I would never use something like Rearguard, but as it is a very heavy duty chemical I would only want to use it if absolutely essential or if instructed to do so by my Vet.

Hello

I only give a new intake Rabbit a one off 28 day course of Fenbendazole (Panacur/Lapizole) as a means of EC control. I do not treat the Rabbit again unless clinical symptoms of EC present

I do not routinely de-worm a Rabbit for intestinal parasites

I do not routinely flea treat a Rabbit unless there is a specific need- eg known exposure to a case of Myxomatosis or if there were to be a known VHD outbreak locally.

I do not use any chemical Fly-Strike protection. I prefer to maintain good husbandry, carry out regular bum checks (3-4 times a day) and use fly deterrents as and when necessary. In 18 years of carrying for Rabbits, including some profoundly disabled/incontinent Rabbits and Rabbits with open wounds I have not had a case of Flystrike. I am not saying that I would never use something like Rearguard, but as it is a very heavy duty chemical I would only want to use it if absolutely essential or if instructed to do so by my Vet.

oh that is so good to hear. i was looking on another forum and the pictures of maggots on the rabbits bum was horrible, so i went straight out and bought some. not used it thank goodness. i have lavender in the garden and they say to use it as a preventive and put it around the outside of the hutch. i do check their bums everyday.

oh that is so good to hear. i was looking on another forum and the pictures of maggots on the rabbits bum was horrible, so i went straight out and bought some. not used it thank goodness. i have lavender in the garden and they say to use it as a preventive and put it around the outside of the hutch. i do check their bums everyday.

Who makes the product you called flystrike? I have heard of Rearguard (though I would never use it) but not one called flystrike x

Daily cleaning out is something I have always done too, I am a bit OTT with cleaning everything though !! I'm after some Lavender for my front garden. But the price of it in our local garden centre almost gave me a heart attack !

Who makes the product you called flystrike? I have heard of Rearguard (though I would never use it) but not one called flystrike x

hi it's the same as rearguard, just a different name. they are cleaned out daily as i like to keep my pets in the condition i would like to live in. it doesn't take long to sweep it out and put in clean, i quite enjoy cleaning them out and putting them back into a clean home. in fact i clean their homes more times then my own. :)

hi it's the same as rearguard, just a different name. they are cleaned out daily as i like to keep my pets in the condition i would like to live in. it doesn't take long to sweep it out and put in clean, i quite enjoy cleaning them out and putting them back into a clean home. in fact i clean their homes more times then my own. :)

:lol: Yes I am this way too!

Regarding Rearguard - I know a lot of people use it, and on their rabbits too, but I have known rabbits who have died 2/3 days after application. Of course those rabbits could have had other things going on for them, but they seemed very healthy at the time (vet checked etc).

I have nursed foster rabbits with flystrike, pulling maggots off them and cleaning wounds ..... it's very nasty indeed, but losing a rabbit to rearguard is such a shame.

:lol: Yes I am this way too!

Regarding Rearguard - I know a lot of people use it, and on their rabbits too, but I have known rabbits who have died 2/3 days after application. Of course those rabbits could have had other things going on for them, but they seemed very healthy at the time (vet checked etc).

I have nursed foster rabbits with flystrike, pulling maggots off them and cleaning wounds ..... it's very nasty indeed, but losing a rabbit to rearguard is such a shame.

you are right, i will not be using it. i rather use natural preventive ways to keep them healthy. thank you for your advice. :)

Back