• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly Bo

clarebear

Mama Doe
Just waiting for blood test results, but we think Bo has E.Cuniculi :(

I came home last Tuesday and his eyes were flickering and his head was going back and forth. Whizzed him to the vets and he is now on Panacur, Metacam, Emiprid and Antibiotic injections.

I am syringe feeding him Excel Dualcare, and he is eating hay and veggies.

Last night he seemed to get worse and started to roll a lot. We had to seperate him from Bungee and put him into a dog crate, padded out with cushions.

It's so horrible to watch him go through this :( makes me weep.

I also feel sad for Bungee too :(

I came home last Tuesday and his eyes were flickering and his head was going back and forth. Whizzed him to the vets and he is now on Panacur, Metacam, Emiprid and Antibiotic injections.

Last night he seemed to get worse and started to roll a lot. We had to seperate him from Bungee and put him into a dog crate, padded out with cushions.

I noticed you mention this on another thread just now, and I'm so sorry ... You are 100% doing the right thing. I do hope he responds to the medication soon and you can put him back with his girlie xx

I think it's far worse for us watching and trying to help than it is for them. At least I really hope that's the case :thumb:

Can Bungee go for a run around the garden (or in a run if you can't supervise) for some period of the daytimes and then be nearer to Bo at night? I know she can't see him at the moment, but he may make progress and she may want to groom him from time to time?

Poor lad, it is distressing for both the Rabbit and for the care giver. As well as acting as a prokinetic the Emeprid may also help with any nausea the vestibular disturbance is causing Bo. Whilst Rabbits cannot actually vomit it is thought that they can experience feelings of nausea and metoclopramide (Emeprid) is a good ant-emetic. I really hope Bo starts to respond to treatment soon xx

Thank you. It's horrible, I am in tears now :(

((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))

The symptoms can get worse before they get better. Also, sometimes a Vet will decide that it is necessary to give a corticosteroid injection instead of Metacam. Corticosteroids need to be used with extreme caution in Rabbits, but there are certain situations where-by they are an appropriate choice. They cant be given at the same time as Metacam though, so there would need to be at least 24 hours between the last Metacam dose and giving a corticosteroid xx

((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))

The symptoms can get worse before they get better. Also, sometimes a Vet will decide that it is necessary to give a corticosteroid injection instead of Metacam. Corticosteroids need to be used with extreme caution in Rabbits, but there are certain situations where-by they are an appropriate choice. They cant be given at the same time as Metacam though, so there would need to be at least 24 hours between the last Metacam dose and giving a corticosteroid xx

Bo has had two steroid injections and has now been put onto Metacam. I suppose the steroids have worn off and perhaps there is not enough Metacam in his system yet. His eyes weren't as bad earlier when I was feeding him.

Bo has had two steroid injections and has now been put onto Metacam. I suppose the steroids have worn off and perhaps there is not enough Metacam in his system yet. His eyes weren't as bad earlier when I was feeding him.

Ah, I did not realise that. Do you find that he is worse when you are having to handle him ? If so, could you devise a method that may enable you to medicate and feed him without having to pick him up ?

Oh poor you .. it can be upsetting to see them. I always think it's worse for us, as they are being looked after really well and perhaps at most feel a bit confused by what's occurring.

It's often difficult to get a bunny in that condition to feed themselves, so you are doing all you can by helping him to eat and take meds. If it makes his condition seem worse in the short term, it is hard to watch, I know.

Keep going. You are doing marvellously well ((((HUGS))))

Poor little chap - and poor you. It must be horrible :cry:

I have no advice to offer - just loads and loads of vibes for a quick recovery.xxx

More vibes coming your way. I hope Bo improves. I know how worrying it is when they are ill.

Thank you all so much for your support, it makes me feel a lot more positive about things.
Bo just need a massive piddle on my lap, so he's obviously getting enough fluids! Totally my fault for not putting him back in his house sooner. I was enjoying getting bunny kisses while Daddy cleaned out his house. :)

Thank you all so much for your support, it makes me feel a lot more positive about things.
Bo just need a massive piddle on my lap, so he's obviously getting enough fluids! Totally my fault for not putting him back in his house sooner. I was enjoying getting bunny kisses while Daddy cleaned out his house. :)

Oooops ... towel next time :lol:

Bo is not eating his Cecals now. The angle of his head just doesn't allow him too :(

Is it okay to use wet wipes on a bunny? I used them in the night to clean him up.

Also we have lined his house out with towels, and he has nibbled them a bit. Will this hurt him?

The angle of his head is the worst it's been :( but I do think he is on his feet a little more today :)

Eating a few tiny fibres should not be a problem, but if he eats more it could be. Can you provide him with a few wood twigs to chew ?

You will need to try to feed him some of his cecals as they are a vital part of a Rabbit's digestive process. Not a pleasant job, I know.

Unscented baby wipes are usually OK to use.

Bo is not eating his Cecals now. The angle of his head just doesn't allow him too :(

Is it okay to use wet wipes on a bunny? I used them in the night to clean him up.

Also we have lined his house out with towels, and he has nibbled them a bit. Will this hurt him?

The angle of his head is the worst it's been :( but I do think he is on his feet a little more today :)

Instead of wet wipes I usually use a damp flannel. I never find wet wipes actually do the job with a furry bunny! You may have more luck with them though :thumb:

You could try feeding him his caecals, but he may not be interested. I wouldn't worry about that for the moment. Nibbling a bit of towel won't harm him. Have you any vet bed?

Yes the wet wipes were a bit useless! Can't believe how sticky poops stick to fur that much!!

How is it best to feed cecals (gosh they are stinky!!)?

I don't have any vet bed, but I think they sell it at a garden centre near us so I might give them a ring.

Oh I have some wood twigs, so I may try him with some.

Thank you xx

Back