• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on a rabbit that's had a stroke

Update

I am happy Dee is showing improvement. Her eye flicking has now stopped. She is holding her body upright, but any movement sends her rolling. Just an hour ago she was almost sitting up while she tried to clean recovery food from her dewlap. She prefers to eat bramble and the few tiny dandylion I can find. She is staying clean underneath ( sofar) with the use of vet bed and regular removal of poops and a puppy training pad undneath that.

I am so glad to hear Dee is showing signs one of the treatments is working and your setup is keeping her clean underneath. I will have to look into a vet bed so I have it on hand if my elderly bunny gets worse with his arthritis.

I am happy Dee is showing improvement. Her eye flicking has now stopped. She is holding her body upright, but any movement sends her rolling. Just an hour ago she was almost sitting up while she tried to clean recovery food from her dewlap. She prefers to eat bramble and the few tiny dandylion I can find. She is staying clean underneath ( sofar) with the use of vet bed and regular removal of poops and a puppy training pad undneath that.

What lovely hopeful signs - so pleased! It encourages you which in turn encourages her

That sounds very encouraging. Dont get too distressed if she has a few 'blips' over the next few days whereby she may seem a bit worse again. This can happen in the early stages. You are doing a great job with nursing Dee and I am sure the TLC you are giving will be as much benefit to her as the medication xx

Hello, long time no see. I am sorry to hear that Dee is unwell
It sounds as though the Vet you saw thinks that EC may be involved hence the fact that the Vet has prescribed Panacur. Another possibility is a middle/inner ear infection and without a definitive diagnosis then many Vet try to cover all bases and treat for both EC (with Panacur) and for a bacterial infection (with an antibiotic, usually Baytril in the first instance). A non steroidal anti-inflammatory is also usually prescribed, eg Metacam, as it is inflammation within the CNS that causes the clinical symptoms.
Could you contact a Vet before Friday to discuss the addition of Baytril and Metacam aswell as the Panacur ?

Dee is likely to need a lot of nursing care including syringe feeds and help keeping herself clean. If her GI tract shows signs of slowing down (very small poo, lack of eating etc) then she may also require prokinetics to maintain gut motility.

She will need to be kept confined in a small safe cage with rolled up towels around the sides to prevent her from hurting herself if she rolls. Dee may seem to get a bit worse over the next day or so, BUT that does not mean that she cannot recover. With the correct medication and good nursing care some Rabbits can recover from a very severe case of head tilt/vestibular disease/EC. They may be left with a permanent tilt, but the severe disorientation can resolve. It may take several weeks of ongoing treatment though. I really hope that there is a good outcome for Dee

There is some additional information here:

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/head-tilt.html

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

http://www.gwexotics.com/wccms-resources/a/5/0/e/77554b90-a660-11e0-a685-0050568626ea.pdf

hello just a quick question is panacur a wormer. sorry to jump in on this tread but i use panacur to worm my cat and was wondering if it's the same.

hello just a quick question is panacur a wormer. sorry to jump in on this tread but i use panacur to worm my cat and was wondering if it's the same.

Yes Panacur is a wormer, and it's effective against the parasite Encephalitozoon cuniculi. The active constituent is Fenbendazole :)

Yes, it is a wormer and in Rabbits it is also used in the treatment of/control of EC (Encephalitozoon Cuniculi). I think I may have posted this link in a previous thread of yours:

http://www.gwexotics.com/wccms-resources/a/5/0/e/77554b90-a660-11e0-a685-0050568626ea.pdf

It is available in a Rabbit specific form

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/panac...2evXF5RkGX1TYyVvTzAFo83f80534-pHzMaAsHA8P8HAQ

It is more economical to use the liquid form if treating multiple Rabbits. I use the 10% Panacur Liquid at a dose rate of 20mg/kg (0.2ml/kg) unless instructed otherwise by my Vet

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-worming-...nacur-10-100ml-liquid-for-cats-and-dogs-p-175

The active ingredient, Fenbendazole, is the same in both formulations.

Back