• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with making outdoor hutch safe and fox proof

BunnehKate

New Kit
I have had rabbits for a few years now, its not my first choice to have rabbits outdoors, particularly in London. But, I am looking to re-home a bonded pair who have been on a waiting list for over 2 years!

Ive recently moved to London, where foxes are everywhere, if this will prove too dangerous, i.e. they will find a way into the hutch then i won't rehome them, but i think I can provide them the love and care they need so if there is a way in which i can fox prove the hutch then I would be grateful of any advice.

So how can I deter foxes/predators and how can i fox proof the hutch?

the hutch is similar to this one here, I will be buying a run to go with it:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=r...al-Hutch-with-Enclosure-in-Brown.aspx;350;350

Thank you all :)

Hi there, for an outdoor rabbit I believe people find the better fox protection option is to have a shed with a couple of strong bolts secured with padlock or strong carabiner clip. You can have the hutches open within the shed and have a catflap or tunnel into the run from shed side. Just to share, I would be wary of the sort of hutch that you buy in garden centres or pet shops as they are often made from soft woods which the fox can chew through with ease. I too am worried about foxes so I've got the rabbits in a hutch within an aviary on a cement and slabbed base so they can't dig out or foxes dig in, which is a worry when on grass.

Our first rabbit was in a home-made run meshed all the way round except one end and that end fixed to the front of the open hutch (honestly can't remember how: it was a long time ago!) so hutch and run together were ludicrously heavy. Foxes would stand on top and they had a go at it, but after a couple of years they just gave up (except the cubs, who would play all over it). So much so the rabbit just sat outside, out of pointy-claw reach (it was 1x1/2" mesh), and went to sleep... Wouldn't recommend that for all rabbits: some are much more predator-aware than Charlie was! I would certainly recommend protecting the base (either with embedded mesh or as above) as foxes are expert diggers!

I have 2 heavy bolts on each door of my hutch, nothing is getting in those doors!! So I would recommend bolts on each door

Back