• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rex bunny with dental issues

hi guys i was just wondering who has rex's and do your suffer from dental issues.
thanks

All Rabbits can develop acquired dental disease if they are fed an inappropriate diet-ie one lacking in hay/grass. Elderly Rabbits of any type can also develop dental problems.

Congenital dental disease is not common in Rex Rabbits

she had them done last week. her last visit before that was 6 months ago. i was just wondering if it was a common thing for rex's. my mini lop is the same but not as bad which i was surprised at

she had them done last week. her last visit before that was 6 months ago. i was just wondering if it was a common thing for rex's. my mini lop is the same but not as bad which i was surprised at

What is her diet like ? Hay/grass is vitally important and it should make up 80%-90% of a Rabbit's diet. Hard feed (pellets) etc should be fed in minimal amounts. If a Rabbit is fed too much hard feed they will not eat as much hay and Dental problems can be the result.

There is no reason that a Rex rabbit is more prone to dental disease.

Did the vet comment on why she needed a dental so often? Sometimes the teeth grow out of alignment and no amount of burring or chewing on hay makes any difference

no he did not see them for there first. i got it done when they were being spayed and the vet said they had small spurs so i decided to get it done while they were under to make things easier. My new vet saw them before xmas and said they had tiny ones and gave it 3 months to see if it could be improved. my mini lop has small one but nothing to worry about but the rex has sores in her mouth not cuts or ulcers. he said i could have left it a bit longer but i didn't want her to be in pain. i will get them checked again in a few months and see how they are doing. i have increased there hay and reduced there nuggets so I'm hoping it doesn't get worse.

no he did not see them for there first. i got it done when they were being spayed and the vet said they had small spurs so i decided to get it done while they were under to make things easier. My new vet saw them before xmas and said they had tiny ones and gave it 3 months to see if it could be improved. my mini lop has small one but nothing to worry about but the rex has sores in her mouth not cuts or ulcers. he said i could have left it a bit longer but i didn't want her to be in pain. i will get them checked again in a few months and see how they are doing. i have increased there hay and reduced there nuggets so I'm hoping it doesn't get worse.

That's the best you can do :thumb:

You could also take a look at some of the different types of hays available to give your Rabbit's a good variety. Eventually you could even move them off a hard feed altogether. Or at least for them to only have a very tiny portion as a treat 2-3 times a week. Feeding lots and lots of different hays, forages, grass and a few fresh herbs would be ideal

These links may be useful to take a look at :

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/edibles/hay-grasses.html

My Rabbits especially love this one:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/snacks_supplements/natural_plant_snacks/herbs/301187

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/going_green_oct_06.pdf

Rexes are especially greedy Rabbits and it is not at all unusual for a Pet Rex to be carrying too much weight. So not only would a hard feed free diet benefit the teeth it may well have an great benefit to the Rex's overall health

Good luck and dont give in to those 'but I am starving' Rex eyes !! I am surrounded by them, Rex's really are piggies in fur coats :lol:

Dental malocclusion in rabbits is not uncommon, especially in the short-faced breeds produced via generation upon generation of inbreeding. This often causes harmful, recessive genetic traits to be expressed, and one of these is misalignment of the teeth because of abnormal bone structure in the skull.
Because it is primarily the wearing of the teeth (incisors and molars) against each other--not against items being chewed--that maintains their normal length and shape, neither chew toys nor hard foods will cure this problem. In many cases, a veterinarian will need to anesthetize the bunny to gain access to the spurs with tools designed specifically to cut off spurs and smooth the teeth.

Dental malocclusion in rabbits is not uncommon, especially in the short-faced breeds produced via generation upon generation of inbreeding. This often causes harmful, recessive genetic traits to be expressed, and one of these is misalignment of the teeth because of abnormal bone structure in the skull.
Because it is primarily the wearing of the teeth (incisors and molars) against each other--not against items being chewed--that maintains their normal length and shape, neither chew toys nor hard foods will cure this problem. In many cases, a veterinarian will need to anesthetize the bunny to gain access to the spurs with tools designed specifically to cut off spurs and smooth the teeth.

(For information - extract above written by Dana Krempels PH.d ) ;)

Back