• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outside rabbit - do I need a litter box when I bring him inside to play?

katkatkay

New Kit
I don't have a rabbit yet but I'm getting one soon so I'm trying to sort everything out first to make sure he has a happy life (and my mum won't let me get one if I haven't researched like every possible thing about rabbits).
He will be living in a hutch/run outside and I'll be bringing him into my bedroom for an hour or so every day to play with him. I'll be rabbit proofing my bedroom and making sure there's no chargers or anything to be chewed on.
I'm planning to litter train him and have a litter box in his hutch but I'm not sure if I need one in my bedroom for when I bring him in there to play? Or should i bring the one from his hutch in while he's there? Or do I just not need one in my room bc I'm really not sure about this.
Also any suggestions about what I need in my room or need to make sure I don't have in my room for when I bring him in would be helpful!

Welcome to the forum :wave: it's lovely to hear that you're putting the effort into researching rabbits' needs and I'm sure your future bunnies will be grateful.

As for the litter training, it depends on the rabbit. If he's only in the room for an hour he may not go to the loo anyway, but it would be best to have one just in case. I think its important to emphasize here the difference between weeing and pooing - a rabbit is litter trained if he wees in the tray, but he may still poo outside of it. Rabbits mark their territory with their poo, so he may scatter these around the room and if he chooses to do this you won't be able to stop him, especially if he is not neutered. But they are dry and harmless, it's just a case of picking them up each evening.

You'll have more luck litter training him in the room at first if you use his tray from outside, but this may not be necessary longer-term. Using a dirty tray will also mean you may be able to persuade him to go in a certain place as it'll smell like wee, but bear in mind that if he chooses a different place you'll just have to move the tray there - rabbits become litter trained to a spot not the tray itself, and can be very stubborn about weeing anywhere other than their chosen area. Again it depends on the bunny as some are easy to litter train and some just never get it and wee everywhere. If you get an adult rabbit, like from a rescue, you'll have more of an idea of how good they are with their litter tray, as this is something that can't be seen properly until after puberty - baby rabbits tend to be okay, teenage rabbits tend to be bad due to hormones, and neutered adults then tend to be better.

Also, I'm not sure what the climate is like in New Zealand and bear in mind most forum members live in the UK , but you won't be able to bring him indoors if the temperature is much different to outside i.e. in winter. Big temperature changes like this should be avoided if possible as they can make respiratory illnesses more likely. It would also be best to get two rabbits or more, as rabbits do need company 24 hours a day as they are gregarious animals.

Last edited:
I would bring his tray inside with him rather than have a separate one - that will help him learn to use it even when exploring. It's handy to have a bit of hay in too as they sometimes play - munch a bit - play some more :)

Thank you guys, I think I'll bring the litter tray from the hutch in when I bring him inside.
Also I didn't know about not being able to bring them inside when there's a big temperature difference so I'm really glad you mentioned that, at least it's summer here at the moment!! :)

I can't add to the advice already given, but just wanted to say hi, and welcome to the forum :wave:

I would also like to add that a shed/aviary set up (or shed/run) is a brilliant way to have enough space to interact with your rabbits. I love being with my lot even in bad weather. I have a little plastic stool that I sit on when I'm in there with them.

I would also like to add that a shed/aviary set up (or shed/run) is a brilliant way to have enough space to interact with your rabbits. I love being with my lot even in bad weather. I have a little plastic stool that I sit on when I'm in there with them.

That's what I'm thinking I'll do in a while if I end up getting more rabbits, I really wish I could afford something like that now bc they look so cool and I love the idea of them!

Back