• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

broken lower jaw? experiences??

Wow. We were always told the jaw was too fragile to wire and to remove teeth. I guess it depends where the break is?

Am I being thick but how do they glue the jaw?

We have our fingers and paws crossed for your little lad. I hope the op is successful and he recovers quickly. xx

Update again!! He's had them glued with the resin! He's just coming round from the anaesthetic. The surgeon wants to keep him in for a few hours to make sure it sets ok and iv got an appointment at 20 past 6 with her so watch this space ��

Sorry I never saw this reply as we posted at the same time. I am really interested in the glue/resin. But I can't work out how they get it in the break. I am guessing they cut open the skin? Am I being dim?

I really hope it works and he makes a full recovery :)

Lol no. What they do is glue both teeth together which acts as a splint to allow the jaw to heal. If you visit the pet dentistry website there's a rabbit on there what has the same done xx

A vet from Facebook contacted me last night and said. .

Ask your vets to check the BSAVA Manual of Rabbit Surgery, Dentistry and Imaging - if it is seperation of the mandibular symphysis then the recommended fixation method is glueing of the incisors (and a considerable part of it as they grow at 2mm/week).

So I wrote this down and gave it to them this morning along with 2 phone numbers of 2 rabbit vets

So they glued the incisors together? So they can't open their mouth? Sorry for the questions. We have had four rabbits with broken jaws all for different reasons so I'm really interested :)

Oh I think I get it now. So the break is actually at the front between the incisors? That makes much more sense now!

All our breaks have been at the back on one side between molars so the incisor thing wouldn't make a difference in those cases.

Its good to know about though. Not that I'm planning to have any broken jawed bunnies!

A vet from Facebook contacted me last night and said. .

Ask your vets to check the BSAVA Manual of Rabbit Surgery, Dentistry and Imaging - if it is seperation of the mandibular symphysis then the recommended fixation method is glueing of the incisors (and a considerable part of it as they grow at 2mm/week).

So I wrote this down and gave it to them this morning along with 2 phone numbers of 2 rabbit vets

How wonderful. Really glad it's worked out. I knew nothing of what the prognosis was when I read your initial post but this was a far better outcome than I had expected. Very relieved for you given the circumstances.

Bad news again unfortunately. When I went to collect him the glue hadn't set and had vanished (he ate it) the glue they used had a 3 hour set time and obviously they can't keep him under for that long. I was an absolute mess when i got home, just couldn't control the tears! So today we are waiting on frances harcourt - brown. She's not in while 1pm so my vets going to talk to her for me to go to there with him instead. He's still eating the mush and drinking too

Oh no how heartbreaking. You must be exhausted. Really hoping FHB can help. At least he is still eating and drinking which is the main thing x

Bad news again unfortunately. When I went to collect him the glue hadn't set and had vanished (he ate it) the glue they used had a 3 hour set time and obviously they can't keep him under for that long. I was an absolute mess when i got home, just couldn't control the tears! So today we are waiting on frances harcourt - brown. She's not in while 1pm so my vets going to talk to her for me to go to there with him instead. He's still eating the mush and drinking too

Oh no, I am sorry to hear this news. I really hope that FHB can help him xx

I am SURE FHB will be able to help. She was wonderful with my bun. She did however offer me put to sleep option as she has to make sure that the owner is committed enough to care for the bun whilst it heals - which is quite a while. She is only thinking of the bun and that if not cared for whilst it heals it will suffer. So do put that message over strongly that you are prepared to do everything necessary.

Best of luck - he could not be in better hands than FHB

Really sorry to read your sad update.

I am SURE FHB will be able to help.

Best of luck - he could not be in better hands than FHB

I totally agree with this. You're lucky enough to be able to get help from the best there is, so at least he's in good hands.

I am so sorry to read your update.

I agree with everyone else regarding FHB, I was referred to her with one of my bunnies and she is fantastic.

I'm using a vet called paul in Castleford,he's booked him in and ordered everything ready, he's going to use proper dentist glue. Fbh is away from tomorrow all week so she couldn't see him

Back