• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

respiratory problems?

Popori

New Kit
Popori my 2 month old rabbit started doing some noises through her nose (sort of snoring-like sounds) 3~4 days ago. The first day these noises where occassional and she also sneezed a few times but now she does these noises almost all the time while she moves and while she eats. She also seems to sneeze more often.

I asked about this to the vet and he said it might possibly be due to powdered alfalfa bits. I have changed to a brand with less powder and remove all powder I saw in the alfalfa rack but it keeps me worried as Popori doesnt seem to improve

Has anyone had a similar case?

Hello,

Personally I'd pop her back to the vets, especially if she hasn't improved. I've had a rabbit with similar symptoms and they turned out to have an Upper Respiratory Infection, which required a course of meds to treat it, so I wouldn't leave it too long (i.e get an appointment within the next few days if possible) :wave:

Did the vet listen to her chest when you last visited?

I have had a bunny who started grunting while she was eating. There was no sneezing or discharge, but it was the start of a respiratory infection and she was prescribed antibiotics.

In your position I would take your bunny to the vet, one who is rabbit knowledgeable. The vet will be able to listen for abnormalities in her breathing and also in her lungs. If it is a respiratory infection, the sooner you can get it diagnosed and treated, the better the outcome. My bunny has been absolutely fine since, but I did catch it very early.

Hope your bunny will be better very soon. xx

Thanks for your prompt replies.

I'm kind of relieved if it has a simple cure.

I just talked about her symphtoms over the phone with the vet but it seems I'm going to have to drop by again. I'm a bit concerned because during my last visit (one week ago) Popori was found some bugs but the vet told me she couldn't be treated for that yet as she was only 300 gr at that moment. I dont think she has doubled that weight by now or whether she can be given antibiotics yet... but I will drop by on wednesday just to be on the safe side

Aside from that, she keeps on eating, drinking and playing as usual

Thanks for your help again

Back