• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A new rabbit?

Purple098

Young Bun
Hello, I was wondering if it was worth getting my rabbit a new friend to play with, as he has been looking bored over the last week. Although, I am slightly worried about how he would react with another rabbit, as he has never really come in contact with one before. Also, would he not love me as much if I got him a friend? Please tell me your opinion and any extra tips would really help. Thx. xxx :D

Hi. It's great that you're considering getting your rabbit a friend. Rabbits really like to be in pairs, and can get bored and restless and listless if they're by themselves. The best way to find a bunny friend for your rabbit is to find a good rabbit rescue, they'll help you find a suitable bunny that both you and your rabbit will love, and will help you with the rabbit 'dating' process, which turns out is pretty complicated! I wouldn't just buy a rabbit yourself and hope they'll get along with your rabbit, it can be a recipe for disaster. Rabbits can be quite choosy about their friends.

As far as loving you less goes, I doubt that will be the case. As long as you still spend lots of time with them both you should be part of the rabbit family same as you've always been. Rabbits can effect each others personalities though so you might find that your rabbit gets more confident, or more snuggly than before they had a companion rabbit but the rescue will help you make sure it's all in a good way and the other rabbit doesn't make yours more aggressive.

I'm sure others will be along with more great tips. Good luck with your search for another rabbit!

I saw your other thread and I do think a friend will help but first get him checked by a vet just to make sure he isn't poorly.

If your bun is neutered then a good rescue will be very happy to find a friend for him. Ring a few in your area and ask to bring your bun down to meet some of the rabbits. This way you can gauge how well the bond will go. :) Tell them what his personality is like and they will most likely choose some girls that will suit him. :)

Good luck!

Back