• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccinating and neutering at the same time

Just a few points on this, having 6 insured with Petplan and 10 with P@H, I can comment on some of the queries/points above.

The only real difference I'm aware of with the two policies is that PP cover to £2000 and P@H is to £1500. Excesses on most of my PP policies are now £100 and will soon be £100 plus 20% (as they are 7 years old) compared to P@H which are £75 + 10%. I've got to say P@H have been excellent at paying out and excellent to deal with. PP have messed up on two occasions and turned me grey recently when it took them 10 weeks to resolve an issue regarding taking the excess twice ... I really had to chase for my £100 back.

That's really useful and interesting BB. I thought most vets did deal direct with Petplan, so definitely best to check with individual vets then. I have never had any problems with Petplan, but then I've never really dealt with them, as it is always my vet that sends the claim off. I do check with him from time to time, but he is very happy and says they have always paid out within 5 days. Never had any problems with the excess because that is always paid to my vet. 4 of my 5 buns are 'special needs', but are all under 3 years, so do you think that is why my excesses are all only £50?

Another thing I like with Petplan, is that with other companies exclusions seem to stay on forever, but with Petplan they have always been incredibly fair, and say for example Dipsy who has neurological problems, initially had anything connected with neurology excluded, but they said that if no claims were submitted within the following 12 month period, they would then remove that exclusion, that I thought was really good of them, especially as how when he crashed with the wall on New Years Day, the exclusion had only just been removed on the 12/12, and it was about £600 because of it being on a bank holiday, and I only had to pay the £50 excess. Strangely enough it has never since been applied either.

On one occasion they overpaid the claim by £60, but refused to admit they had made an error, and so my vet credited it to my account, and I had one and a half consultations courtesy of Petplan :thumb:

That's really useful and interesting BB. I thought most vets did deal direct with Petplan, so definitely best to check with individual vets then. I have never had any problems with Petplan, but then I've never really dealt with them, as it is always my vet that sends the claim off. I do check with him from time to time, but he is very happy and says they have always paid out within 5 days. Never had any problems with the excess because that is always paid to my vet. 4 of my 5 buns are 'special needs', but are all under 3 years, so do you think that is why my excesses are all only £50?

Another thing I like with Petplan, is that with other companies exclusions seem to stay on forever, but with Petplan they have always been incredibly fair, and say for example Dipsy who has neurological problems, initially had anything connected with neurology excluded, but they said that if no claims were submitted within the following 12 month period, they would then remove that exclusion, that I thought was really good of them, especially as how when he crashed with the wall on New Years Day, the exclusion had only just been removed on the 12/12, and it was about £600 because of it being on a bank holiday, and I only had to pay the £50 excess. Strangely enough it has never since been applied either.

On one occasion they overpaid the claim by £60, but refused to admit they had made an error, and so my vet credited it to my account, and I had one and a half consultations courtesy of Petplan :thumb:

The excess definitely rises with age. Mine started out at £55 and several are now 7 years old. When the policy renews and they are already 7 I've been told it will also incur a 20% excess, as well as the £100! Brace yourself it's getting VERY expensive. Oh and it's always been way over 5 days when they've paid out, 2 - 3 weeks usually.

The exclusion info is interesting. When I first insured Rudy he has a lot of stasis/gas episodes, probably about 6 a year. I was told if he was free of them for ?a year ?two years, whatever, they would take the exclusion off. Some time later I rang again and got a very curt response that when an exclusion is on there it's permanent. At that point I decided to insure him with P@H given he had loads of exclusions and P@H were massively cheaper.... I chickened out and went back to PP just before his fifth birthday so have no idea where I'd stand with exclusions now as they are not formally on his new policy but obviously in his history. Definitely worth questioning though. Rudy also had an exclusion for facial abscesses, given his 1 dental at the age of 1 year :?

That is odd isn't it. Do you think it's because they deal with my vet they are so much better. I can't really say what they are like because I just fill in what I need to on the claim form and then give it to my vet. The only permanent exclusions are for Scooter's splay leg and Violet's eyes (was born blind). Dipsy's exclusion was removed after 12 months, Pippa's gastrotestinal stuff was removed after her not having been seen for 6 months!! Both times my vet just had to fax over confirmation that he hadn't seen whichever bun it was, for however long it was, and the exclusions were removed immediately, so they can remove them.

I just checked my buns policy and each excess is £50, and the premium for each bun (monthly), is £9.96. A 10% discount, and another 10% multi pet discount means I pay £38 per month for 5 buns, so because of the discounts, one of which was a promotional one, it's like one bun is insured for free if that makes sense. My oldest bun is 4, Dipsy will be 3 in July, 2 are 2 yrs in Sept and Plutarch is just one, so got some time to prepare for increases!!

I'm a bit confused about your discussions about exclusions? Are they exclusions because something neurological/dental etc happened before you had your bun insured? Or if something happens while they are insured does everything related then become excluded?

I'm a bit confused about your discussions about exclusions? Are they exclusions because something neurological/dental etc happened before you had your bun insured? Or if something happens while they are insured does everything related then become excluded?

Excluded as the condition existed before the insurance was taken out. I always try to insure mine within 24 hours now... I struggle to pick names but that's the only delay in getting insurance!

Back