• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When is the best time to put my indoor bunnies outside?

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
Should they be going out in spring, in the hight of summer or should I be looking out for a certain temperature at night?
My bunnies sit under the radiator in winter they are very accustomed to there home comforts!
Their kennel will be insulated but no heating.

Mine'll be going out this weekend hopefully: he's in an unheated room and the temperature is now only about 2-3°C higher than outside, so I reckon once it's 10°C outside it'll be good enough! With yours by a radiator it'll need to be about 18-20°C outside at least, depends what temperature your house goes down to overnight (I have thermometers all over the place ;P).

As a rule of thumb, you should wait until the risk of night frosts has passed (a bit like putting your non-hardy garden plants out). If it feels too cold for you to stand outside with no coat on, it'll be too cold for your bunnies too. However, if he's been in an unheated room then you can probably put him out around April time, as long as it's really starting to feel like Spring and we're not having hard frosts etc.

I generally wait until nights don't drop below 8 degrees.

I would too Liz, if the indoor bunnies were in a heated house. Our conservatory gets pretty cold, especially at night, so the buns still have reasonable coats. But Benji's been indoors since November so they won't be going back out until Spring has well and truly sprung!

Oh yes different if the room they are in has remained unheated. 8 degrees is my rule for our bunnies as all our rooms are heated through winter :)

Ive never brought mine in till this year, they've only been in a month after a bout of poorly rabbits that I can only put down to the cold.

They didn't seem to get the huge fluffy coat that they have in previous years, I reckon the weathers been a bit too up and down for them.

Being inside they have definitely moulted off any fluff they had. I told my hubby that it would be at least Easter before they could go out. They don't like being inside, weve wood floors so they are a bit like bambi on ice:lol:

Back