• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

depressed bun bun

kerrylouise

Warren Scout
I think my buck is depressed, his partner died before Christmas since then he's been alone, we've got a baby doe but after the first introduction didn't go well we decided to give them some space, he was not him self before but now he's even worse and totally gone off of his food which really isn't like him iftact he hadn't eaten in 4 days, vet says he's fine, is there a way I can get him back to his self? The introduction to the doe resulted in blood where he tried to mate her and a vet trip

Is he eating ANYTHING at all? It's really important that he eats otherwise he could go into GI stasis, which is not good. Try tempting him with some tasty fresh herbs (parsley, lemon balm, dill etc).

If he won't eat anything then I'd take him straight back to the vet as an emergency as GI stasis can be brought on by stress :(.

Wishing him well very soon.

Earlier he ate like 1 piece of hay :/ I've ttried everything apple carrot banana which is his favourite broccoli just to name a few he's not having any of it at all he would normally tear your hand off for any of the above

Personally, I think you should get him to the vet quickly. It sounds like he may need pain relief and gut motility drugs (assuming it's gut slow-down rather than a blockage). Has he had his teeth checked recently as well?

Yep all has been checked I'm seeing if I can tempt him at the moment to make it a game, he's drinking well but cant get anything else past him I'm going to get some treats and see if these will tempt him if not will get him to the vets

They really are :( i know it's down to him being lonely but after what happened the other day he needs to be apart from her for a while he's so lonely at night all he does is stomp :(

Could you get him a little soft toy to snuggle to? This would offer him comfort and something to snuggle up to , especially at night. Make sure that anything like bead eyes etc, are removed. I hope he starts to feel brighter very soon.

Thank you he has one and it terrifies him :/ turns out the doe isn't 9 weeks shes 6 months! When he mated her she bled loads could that be because she isn't neautred?

IS there a chance the doe could have bitten him on his penis? it's not unheard of, would explain the blood, and would explain why he's feeling so yuck! Did the vet check?

Yep the vet checked everything apparently how ever I'm taking them both back to the vet I normally see as she wasn't there and since she's my other halfs friend I know she will check properly, he's now eating thank god

Back