• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

8 week old rabbit lying on lap flat out, what does it mean??

Laura325630

Young Bun
Hi all, we collected our new rabbit Blossom yesterday and she has settled in really well. My eldest daughter loves nothing more then sitting with Blossom her lap.

Just now Blossom must have been her lap for nearly an hour and ended up completely stretched out, legs out at the side, head down and nose still.

Does this mean she is happy?? Could it mean shes too hot? I've just put her back in her crate/run while I figure out if this is ok!!

Thanks.

Your bun just sounds like she was very comfy and content :) Her head down and nose still is a good indicator of this.

If she was too warm, her head would be up, that nose would be moving, nostrils flared, and she would be breathing faster. Her ears would be flared out and may be darker pink, due to the increased blood flow to the ears to aid in the cooling process. When you feel the ears they will feel quite warm. If she were to get a little too warm, letting her lay on a cool surface and giving her some fresh cool water is a good way to help her cool back down. It's definitely good to keep an eye on this especially in the summer, as rabbits can overheat quite easily.

Back