• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Reusing woolpacks from deliveries

RosemaryG

Warren Scout
Hi all,

So today, I had my regular fruit & veg order from Abel & Cole but included some fish for a change. It came all wrapped up with reusable icepacks and woolpacks as insulation.

Normally, I'd send everything back with the driver for recycling but the wool packs got me thinking. It's a 100% felted sheep’s wool, sealed within recyclable food grade polyethylene wrap. If I took the wrap off, is it suitable as bedding for our indoor buns?

Having removed the wrap to check the content, it smells very strongly of sheep still - think it would have to be hung somewhere outside first to lose it - buns (and me) might object :D

This is a link to the company that provide it to Abel & Cole http://www.woolcool.com/food/faqs/ Forgot to add, there are pics on the site of dogs & cats using them so was just checking that they'd be ok for bunnies too. The dog pic seems to have the wrapper still on but the cat pic looks just like the wool liner being used

thanks

Last edited:
I don't think I would use wool for rabbit bedding. They might ingest it and it could cause problems, or it could get wrapped round their feet and cause distress. Hay would be better for them to be in direct contact with as they can eat it safely.

If it gets wet it will stay wet in a hutch, and it will always smell a bit sheepy, although airing it will help a lot.

Wool is very warm and an excellent insulator. Is there any way you could use it just as insulation without it coming into contact with the rabbits?

If I had some, I would try it as bedding for smaller rodents as they won't eat it. I'm sure that our gerbils, hamster and chipmunks would love it.

Our cats and dogs also love our wool duvets. They are lovely and warm without being heavy or going lumpy.

I wouldn't use it directly but what about stuffing it in into a pillow case, laying it on the bottom of the bed and then covering it in straw? That would be cosy!

I wouldn't use it anywhere they could access but I imagine you could use it instead of polystrene for insulating a shed/playhouse :)

Back