• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

NIC cubes housing - shelves

Leesa

Warren Scout
Hi, hoping someone can assist as my bunnies are driving me mad at night with the noise they are making and feeling rather sleep deprived!! They have a large space in the dining room made of NIC cubes. In the evenings or at weekends they have the run of the lounge when we are in. However I have also made two floors on the back part and they love hopping up and down and sitting up there. The problem is I lined these shelves (about 7 cubes in total) with cardboard and replace them when they get a bit messy or when they rip them up. I don't want to put towels or material if I can help it as they chew the curtains in the lounge already (and my clothes!) so would be scared from a safey aspect. They do have a fleece blanket on the floor but have a few accidents weeing on it so that could be a problem too. They've had this for over 6 months, but in the last couple of weeks they've taken to ripping up the cardboard in the middle of the night and it's really noisy. They've woken me up for every night for the last week at least - last night it woke me up at 1am, 2am, 5am and 6am and it's driving me nuts!

I don't want to take away their shelving as they love the top bit so considering what else I can do. Thoughts so far are plywood, however I will probably heard the bang when they jump up or down. My other option is move them into the lounge, however don't really want to do this as they won't have as much space (but could maybe go up another shelf to compensate) and also it might be harder to clean. What does everyone else use for their shelves with NIC cubes? Or any other suggestions? Thanks!!

You could try a cushioned lino or some rubber matting. Rubber floor matting can be bought be the metre on ebay.

Sometime you can get scraps of carpet in the carpet shop for a quid or so, that's what I put down for mine and they don't chew it - or you can get door mats at ikea or those edible straw type mats from petshops although you might need a fair few to cover seven cubes worth which could turn out expensive :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a couple of mats like Carpet from Lidl which were pet mats you put their food on or bathroom mats with non slip backing punched holes in and tie wrapped them to the floor tucked under the sides if needed and ends so there was nothing to chew:roll:

Made it quiet and after a couple of days they gave up trying to pull it up and went thru the kitchen carpet instead :censored: darlings :lol:

Thanks for all the responses, after an awful night on Friday night (literally no sleep - shouldn't bunnies even be asleep at 3:30am?!), we decided to move them into the lounge instead of going on our valentines trip to the zoo. Unfortunately they do have less floor space however I've gone up another level to compensate. Little monkeys have already taken to ripping up the temporary cardboard floor - grr! Luckily though not quite as loud so much better sleep! Think today a trip to a carpet shop is in order to see what lino etc is available, but I have a sneaking suspicion they might try to eat Lino or carpet too, but worth a shot!

Back