• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Frustrated with unsuitable run! Suggestions wanted!

magically

Warren Scout
[SUB]Had my nanas partner build me a run, outlined all the details including wood type and mesh type [weld mesh, gauge type, ect] with links on where to buy. Drawings had exact measurements detailing where doors needed to go for easy access, with help on how to do this and the offer to call me whenever he was unsure, though I was reassured that this wouldn't happen seen as he's an "experienced wood worker" who has built everything from a shed which is more like a bedroom and wardrobes to a garden table and chairs.

Today, I received a run that although has the right type of wood, doesn't really have the right type of anything else. It's been made with chicken wire, and the wire has been attached on the outside. [Elsie is a chewer and now has full access to wood] Along with this, the door has been put on the top of the 3ft tall run, which may not be an issue for somebody who is 6ft tall but I'm 4'9 and I'm disabled with balance issues. The only way I can get into this run is to use a small step ladder or drop a rabbit from 3ft, which I wouldn't do of course.

The plan was to have the runaround attached, but obviously I can't do this considering that it's been made with chicken wire. He's also made a mess of the wood by hammering in far too many nails/screws so I'm worried about getting new mesh and putting even more holes in.

Overall I know I sound really ungrateful but I'm just really disappointed. I asked for him to build it [bare in mind I'm paying him for his time and materials] back at the start of December, when my current run collapsed. He hasn't done anything with it until yesterday, and had it finished today. I've had so many issues between now and then with what to do with Elsie considering it's far too cold out there to bring her in for exercise, and I can't have her running around the garden free ranging, so the poor girl has been stuck in her hutch for most of this time. Now I'm worried that with the money I'm paying him for the materials and his time, on top of what I'm now going to have to pay to fix it, that it would have been cheaper to just buy one. :cry:

Sigh. :( Sorry for complaining, I am just really frustrated and confused as to how I can salvage this and turn it around. If anyone has any suggestions as to how this could maybe be fixed or at least made better for Elsie with as little cost as possible I would really really appreciate it! :thumb:[/SUB]

I know it will be awkward, but I would explain that it is not suitable the way it is. It's not like you didn't specify the correct mesh after all. I would explain you need some way of accessing the run rather than a door on top, so ask him to alter it.. You could get him to mesh with weld mesh on the inside, and leave the chicken wire on, to avoid damaging the wood.

If the door on top is large enough to fit a carrier through, you could maybe bribe bunny to go into the carrier, if that made it any easier to get her in and out of the run.

Once the runaround tube is attached, she may be able to be trained to come into the hutch for food, I managed it with my bunnies :thumb:

What a nightmare. I think that, in your place, I would try to tactfully tell him that isn't suitable and ask if he perhaps misunderstood, and see what he says. Sounds as though he just made it in a rush and botched it up. Good luck. If it wasn't a family member it would be simple, but then that's always the way of things.

I know it will be awkward, but I would explain that it is not suitable the way it is. It's not like you didn't specify the correct mesh after all. I would explain you need some way of accessing the run rather than a door on top, so ask him to alter it.. You could get him to mesh with weld mesh on the inside, and leave the chicken wire on, to avoid damaging the wood.

If the door on top is large enough to fit a carrier through, you could maybe bribe bunny to go into the carrier, if that made it any easier to get her in and out of the run.

Once the runaround tube is attached, she may be able to be trained to come into the hutch for food, I managed it with my bunnies :thumb:

Thank you so much for your response! My mum says I should do that but I'm terrible with communication in general. I'm a bit of a wuss! :oops: I don't like any conflict or the risk of causing it, and I don't want them to think I'm ungrateful. My mums offered to talk to them for me [Sorry with my height and reliance on my mum you'd think I was about twelve! I'm coming up seventeen] but I don't want to put her in that position and I feel like it's my issue to deal with.

Carriers a good idea! Might do for now actually, in fact that's a fantastic idea. It would mean that she'd have somewhere sheltered if it rained and I couldn't get out quickly enough. Of course, absolutely not a long term option. Oh we've had a runaround attached to a run before and they [I say they, I lost her partner back in August. :( ] used to race up and down the tube when I went outside in the hopes of being fed. :lol:

Weld mesh could absolutely go on the inside! Shame about the chicken wire on the outside, it looks so ugly, but I guess it will be an extra layer of protection combined with the weld mesh on the inside perhaps?

Just a quick question, is this the right kind of mesh? Daren't make any mistakes now!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Welded-Wi...y-Hutches-Run-Pet-Coop-3-widths-/111392167407

What a nightmare. I think that, in your place, I would try to tactfully tell him that isn't suitable and ask if he perhaps misunderstood, and see what he says. Sounds as though he just made it in a rush and botched it up. Good luck. If it wasn't a family member it would be simple, but then that's always the way of things.

Sorry Babsie, I was responding to Zoobecs comment when you sent yours! Yeah definitely. I've been waiting so long and it's put everything else off too, like getting her a friend. But of course, it's "just a rabbit" so I shouldn't get so stressed. :roll: I'm a lot calmer now than I was before, now just focusing on trying to fix it! :D

Absolutely! I don't really class him as family as such, but I know my nana loves him a lot and I don't want to frustrate her and cause issues there. If it was a stranger, I would be much better with it though, you're right!

I might maybe buy the weld mesh myself to avoid him getting mixed up again and then ask him to apply it. Ugh but that's going to take him forever! It's taken him two and a half months to come over. Hmm.. I wonder if it's something my mum and I could do. Might be a lot easier. Jesus I'll do anything to avoid talking to someone! :lol:

Thank you so much for your response! My mum says I should do that but I'm terrible with communication in general. I'm a bit of a wuss! :oops: I don't like any conflict or the risk of causing it, and I don't want them to think I'm ungrateful. My mums offered to talk to them for me [Sorry with my height and reliance on my mum you'd think I was about twelve! I'm coming up seventeen] but I don't want to put her in that position and I feel like it's my issue to deal with.

Carriers a good idea! Might do for now actually, in fact that's a fantastic idea. It would mean that she'd have somewhere sheltered if it rained and I couldn't get out quickly enough. Of course, absolutely not a long term option. Oh we've had a runaround attached to a run before and they [I say they, I lost her partner back in August. :( ] used to race up and down the tube when I went outside in the hopes of being fed. :lol:

Weld mesh could absolutely go on the inside! Shame about the chicken wire on the outside, it looks so ugly, but I guess it will be an extra layer of protection combined with the weld mesh on the inside perhaps?

Just a quick question, is this the right kind of mesh? Daren't make any mistakes now!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Welded-Wi...y-Hutches-Run-Pet-Coop-3-widths-/111392167407

That weld mesh is the right gauge, I've bought from that seller before, but I went for this as it's got smaller holes, for greater protection against predators
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Welded-Wi...Pet_Supplies_Poultry&var=&hash=item1e9389a3cc
The chicken wire is ugly isn't it, I've got a layer of that on my run from when it used to be the vegetable patch, and was only to keep birds off the veg, rather than remove it all we just re-meshed it with the weld mesh. If you do try it to mesh it yourself, make sure you wear gardening gloves, I cut my hand when I cut the roll open and it sprung at me :shock:

That weld mesh is the right gauge, I've bought from that seller before, but I went for this as it's got smaller holes, for greater protection against predators
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Welded-Wi...Pet_Supplies_Poultry&var=&hash=item1e9389a3cc
The chicken wire is ugly isn't it, I've got a layer of that on my run from when it used to be the vegetable patch, and was only to keep birds off the veg, rather than remove it all we just re-meshed it with the weld mesh. If you do try it to mesh it yourself, make sure you wear gardening gloves, I cut my hand when I cut the roll open and it sprung at me :shock:

It looks even more ugly when it's attached on the outside!! I love the neatness when it's attached on the inside. It's almost like wearing a top inside out, the seams are ugly!

Thanks for the warning! It unfortunately won't be for another week at least that it's fully suitable I imagine, which doesn't seem like too long, but when you've waited two and a half months and it's sat right there!!

Going to go grab the carrier and sit with her in the run for a while, sad that she won't be able to go in it unsupervised though, for now anyway. I'll see if I can grab some pictures of her while I'm out there, I barely have any and I'd love to show you guys. :D

Yes, chicken wire is really ugly. I had some of my garden fenced off a couple of years ago, for the rabbits, and the chap used chicken wire between the posts. It looked horrible and wasn't satisfactory, anyway. Last year I had it re-done with the proper mesh, so much better. I guess he probably thought "it's only rabbits".

Think you may have to grow some doodaahs and tell him the truth. ;)

I totally sympathise! I wonder if it might be an effective strategy to cut some of the chicken wire at bunny level, and then call him and explain that Elsie has chewed through it - hence why you asked for better mesh! A little white lie might help make it more tolerable to bring it up... after all he can't exactly say 'it's only a bunny' and say they don't need strong mesh when bunny has nibbled through his work :lol: And while he's there doing the work add in that you need a door at a more suitable height ;)

I totally sympathise! I wonder if it might be an effective strategy to cut some of the chicken wire at bunny level, and then call him and explain that Elsie has chewed through it - hence why you asked for better mesh! A little white lie might help make it more tolerable to bring it up... after all he can't exactly say 'it's only a bunny' and say they don't need strong mesh when bunny has nibbled through his work :lol: And while he's there doing the work add in that you need a door at a more suitable height ;)

Very crafty, I like it ;) :lol:

I like this sneaky idea! Hope you can get it sorted :wave:

Telling a white lie would actually be telling the truth! Decided to use the carrier and put Elsie in the run and get in myself to check at a rabbits eye level. Bloody good job too, considering he left tacks lying on the floor of the run! :evil: After getting in there and having a look around, there are nails sticking out of the wood and all sorts :( There is definitely a lot to fix.

Anyway about the white lie, got Elsie in there and she did exactly what I expected being a chewer, straight for the wood and mesh! :lol: So I'll just enhance her handiwork a little. ;) Definitely not an option for her to go in that.

I've decided that I'll talk to them tomorrow, offer to buy the correct mesh and politely ask him to attach it on the inside for me. Then, whilst he's here just casually drop in "Oh could you just hammer that nail to the side for me? Thanks!". I'm nervous at the thought of being honest with them already. But I have no option, because she can't go in that.

Thank you all so much for your help! Little disappointed that there's nothing I can do immediately to fix it, guess I'll just have to be patient. Here's a picture for you all! :D

elsie_by_thecallybear-d8hpsxo.jpg

Elsie is gorgeous :love: hope you get it sorted out :thumb:

Thank you! She's a little odd looking but super cute! I can't wait to get some decent pictures of her. :D And whoever her new partner will be too, seen as that's the whole idea of getting everything sorted! Yes me too, I'm sure it will be fine eventually. I think it was just the initial panic. :)

It's frustrating after the wait you didn't get what you wanted! Weld mesh isn't too bad to attach yourself, you can do it with a hammer and U shape nails or use a staple gun designed for wood/mesh - will cost about £25 inc. the staples. You just lay the run on it's side and staple like you would paper.

I agree mesh on the outside looks ugly. You could cut it off and/or pop some trim over to hide the edges/nails - just needs to be thin strips and they'd be easier to nail on even if you haven't DIY'd before :)

Ooh, Elsie's lovely!

I've got my Dad building me one (my Mum's 'complaining' about it because she's wanted him to do things for years and he's doing this run as an offer, straightaway!), but the last one he made was good for 20years and, while he's no expert builder, he's pretty handy and listens! We're all frustrated that nothing's happened on the run-building front because the weather's been too bad for any work to progress too, but he gives me updates (even if it's "weather's been terrible, sorry"!).

I empathise with the 3' run door thing: my Dad is 5'5" and 70 next year, and I'm only 5' and pretty unbendy, so it's impossible for either of us to get into a 3' (or anything over 2') run without help. So we're going with a half-height, half-width flip-down door as well as the flip-up lid. I imagine my OH (6'4") won't use it! It's an engineering feat but should work. I don't know if it would work for you but I have an escape-artist-maniac so I need to not provide instant egress opportunities!

Hammering in u-nails is a pain in the backside in dense hardwood :evil:: our shiplap wendy house has very dense sides so we sort-of managed it over the vent hole in the back but it's far from decent! Took more than an hour to do 4 nails! I hope it will be much easier over the windows!

Good luck talking to him!

Elsie is beautiful, she does have that who? me? 'innocent' look about her though. Not fooling me, Miss Elsie!! ;):lol:

I could literally cry.
£72.

For something that's unsuitable and I can't use.

I priced up all materials and told them where to buy the stuff, it should have cost £55 maximum.
I could have bought one that's the same size for cheaper.

I'm already going to have to spend at least £25 on fixing it.
That takes us up to nearly £100 which has completely blown my budget for getting Elsie her friend.

I was finally relaxing about all this and stopping worrying.
Now it's completely messed absolutely everything else up.

This is so awful. :cry:

I could literally cry.
£72.

For something that's unsuitable and I can't use.

I priced up all materials and told them where to buy the stuff, it should have cost £55 maximum.
I could have bought one that's the same size for cheaper.

I'm already going to have to spend at least £25 on fixing it.
That takes us up to nearly £100 which has completely blown my budget for getting Elsie her friend.

I was finally relaxing about all this and stopping worrying.
Now it's completely messed absolutely everything else up.

This is so awful. :cry:

Did you speak to him about it?

Back