• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How toxic is chocolate / caramel to rabbits?

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
I have just found that Biscuit has jumped 5ft onto my desk, yes, 5ft.

I had half a bar of Cadbury caramel on my desk, he has eaten at least 2 squares, completely and nibbled edges of further squares.

This would be in the past hour give or take as I was there until then.

He is behaving 100% normal, ive just given him a few pellets and he happily took those and ive topped up his litter trays and put hay in random places to interest him in hay and push the fibre to push through his guy.

How serious should I take this, or should I just do my normal and keep a very close eye and push the fibrous material?

Thank you

If it were me I'd be straight on the phone to the vet to see what they think, and if they think it's a 'wait and see' scenario I'd suggest if there might anything preventative that you can do to help it move along with no issues... i.e. metacam and gut stimulant.

If it were me I'd be straight on the phone to the vet to see what they think, and if they think it's a 'wait and see' scenario I'd suggest if there might anything preventative that you can do to help it move along with no issues... i.e. metacam and gut stimulant.

Yes, I would do the same. I don't know how toxic it is but at least they can advise :thumb:

Well xmas 2013 Timmy escaped while we was out and polished off almost half of the BIG bar of dairy milk, the one thats normally about £2.50. He was completly fine. My Son on the other hand was hacked off that half his choc had gone :)

It can't hurt to phone the vet but, I'm sure chocolate isn't toxic as such (although clearly not good!). I recall chatting with my old vet about rabbits stealing food; hers apparently pinched a whole Jaffa cake and lived to tell the tale!! Hopefully, hay and obs will do it. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know someone whose bunny had to have charcoal administered because of eating chocolate so it's always worth calling the vets. I hope all is ok this morning.

Thought I'd posted here yesterday. :? My mobile must've hiccuped.
Is there any update? Or anyone who has Gray on FB who might have news? :(
Sending vibes for Biccy...really hope he's okay. xxxx

Sorry guys and gals. Biscuit's absolutely fine, vet advised to be watchful and he's been a monster still, happy little Biscuit!

Sorry guys and gals. Biscuit's absolutely fine, vet advised to be watchful and he's been a monster still, happy little Biscuit!

Yes, I would say to be watchful. One of mine demolished half a chocolate left in an open box. It was the last chocolate and a complete mistake to have left it there! She had no teeth, so she must have licked all night long .... That was about 7 years ago and she is still going strong

I've often walked in to find candy eating all sorts! She's had my biscuits off me before and has actually run off to hide with it!

Hope he's okay :)

Rupert stole a sausage roll and ate a quarter once. Tia (my beige lop looks like your biscuit graham) she steals biscuits and chocolate all the time - she is terrible!!!
Rupert oddly gets bloat from dandelion but was fine when stole the sausage roll!

Back