• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Got to make a Decision about Bobby

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
Bobby will be 9 next month. I've had him since he was 9 weeks old, a Dwarf Lop. 6 months ago he got a mucky bot so took him to the Vets to be cleaned up. Bobby doesn't do being picked up, pet carriers or Vets. So it took 27 hours after we arrived home before he would move and eat. I nearly had to take him back! So he now has a mucky bum again. I did say at the time I wouldn't put him through all that again, but apart from nearly being blind and a bit of arthritus in his lower back, he's good. He eats really well, bobs around the garden from one shed to the other (he thinks they are both his), so, do I take him to be cleaned up again or let him go. Bobby has always been extremely clean and this makes him feel miserable and he probably suspects what might have to happen. I need to decide by tomorrow morning. It is so difficult. I've been giiving him Metacam to see if that helps him clean himsellf up, but he hasn't done so as yet.

do you know what the cause of the problem is? is it the arthritis preventing him moving to clean himself? what level of meds is he on, and could this perhaps be increased? i would want to try a few more things before pts because it sounds as though he is happy in himself otherwise

Would there be any chance of getting someone to come and clean him up at home if you explained how stressful he finds travelling? Poor Bobby, sending vibes.

We (the Vet and me) decided to give Bobby a chance. Vet checked his teeth and they are perfect on one side but a tiny spur on the other. I am sure it's not his teeth as he eats with a very good motion. She couldn't feel any lumps anywhere. I think it's just his age. So I held him (first time) while Caroline shaved his rear end and he weighs 2.3 kgs, which is good for a DL> I gave him some greens when we arrived back home and he actually ate it! So, I still have my Bobby yey! Loads of dogs in the waiting room and no windows open. Was making me feel a bit sick.

Did the Vet not mention anything about arthritis ? Not an unusual finding in an older Rabbit and something that can cause mobility issues making it difficult for the Rabbit to keep him/herself clean. A daily dose of a non steroidal anti-inflammatory can be very helpful in such cases.

Did you have a chat to the Vet re diet etc too, I have an elder bun who is now 10 and just like us when older sometimes their tums struggle to tolerate things so might be worth looking at what kind of veggies he has - as we any new food introduce slowly if you decide to change.

My lad now does better on light herbs and forage rather than the range of traditional bunny veg. Along side this he has a joint supplement.

Just Food for Thought but glad you had a good outcome from the chat with your vet.

We (the Vet and me) decided to give Bobby a chance. Vet checked his teeth and they are perfect on one side but a tiny spur on the other. I am sure it's not his teeth as he eats with a very good motion. She couldn't feel any lumps anywhere. I think it's just his age. So I held him (first time) while Caroline shaved his rear end and he weighs 2.3 kgs, which is good for a DL> I gave him some greens when we arrived back home and he actually ate it! So, I still have my Bobby yey! Loads of dogs in the waiting room and no windows open. Was making me feel a bit sick.

This is good news! Hopefully you and Bobby between you can keep him clean and happy.
So pleased he is eating :thumb:

A couple of mine have the beginnings of arthritis and sometimes need help cleaning but are otherwise ok. If you feel you can help with this and he is happy and not in pain then hopefully he has time left yet. That said I don't think anyone could blame you if you decided it was his time, far better to make that decision too soon than too late IMHO

glad you agreed with your vet that it isnt his time, he sounds happy bouncing around garden which is goodsign, is it the arthiritis causing him not t clean properly, you can get rabbit food from vets for older buns with added glucosamine for joints, did they duscuss any nedication longterm to maybe help his moilty to clean

Back