• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental 'problems' in rabbits

Jolysium

Mama Doe
I thought I'd post this as I found it interesting. As some of you know, Fred has just been operated on by Frances Harcourt-Brown because he has multiple abscesses, which are related to dental disease. FHB was quite puzzled as to why he has got so many abscesses when he has always had a good diet. She thinks, although she was careful to say that she can't be certain, that the problem started when he had dental work when he was very young. This was about six years ago - he stopped eating and I took him to the vet who looked in his mouth and said he had spurs. She burred his teeth and he recovered. Ever since, whenever he's been for a check-up, the vets have commented that his teeth aren't good and will need dental work at some point. Sometimes they've mentioned that he seems to be missing some teeth towards the back. As he's been eating well and seemed fine, I've always said we'd wait and see.

So it seems to me (because it seems to FHB) that the dental work all those years ago damaged his teeth badly and also introduced infection or allowed infection to get in, which has led to him developing these multiple abscesses. FHB showed me some healthy rabbit skulls with points on their teeth and said that they were perfectly normal teeth but that she thinks vets often mistake these normal shaped teeth for spurs. Has anyone else heard anything about this? It sounds as though a lot of bunnies get rushed into dentals that might do more harm than good. Obviously if a rabbit isn't eating and doesn't respond to medical management it needs to be considered (that's the position I'm in with Freda now) but having heard this it is making me more anxious about the idea of her having her teeth burred if it can possibly be avoided.

Sorry for the ramble.

It's a very interesting discussion.

I think there are many factors at play when abscesses occur. Yes it could be down to a faulty dental, but how about if a rabbit never had a dental and suddenly gets an abscess, which is very often the first time you realise your rabbit has dental issues ...?

There is also the factor of breeding, and genetics. I could ask why a human gets dental abscesses despite an exemplary diet and oral care. In this case I believe the workings of the immune system are important to consider.

I definitely think there is a case of inexperienced vets seeing normal teeth as spurs.

I have to use my local vets sometimes for out of hours but I'm registered with FHB and team and go there whenever not an emergency OOH. There are a few times when I've presented a 'not eating' rabbit to vets who don't see so many rabbits and they comment that they have spurs, it's happened a few times with Elijah but when FHB or team look at his teeth they say they are really good, nothing even vaguely spur-like to be seen. It's happened with a few of my bunnies. I know in theory they could have a bit of a spur from poor eating then it be gone at some point when next seen by an experienced vet but this situation has happened in timescales/eating patterns where I think it can't possibly be true.

It just seems to be a bit of a knee-jerk reaction when bunnies are unwell. I accept it's a very common problem but it often feels more like something to do for the sake of doing it than something that they genuinely feel will make a difference. A long way to go in the field of rabbit medicine I suppose...

Back