• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Daisy isn't well, healing vibes please :( - UD: she has lost sight in both eyes, 9th

bunemma

Young Bun
Hi guys,

I took Daisy to the vets yesterday afternoon after wathcing her all day, she hadnt touched her food or water and sat in the same place pretty much all day. I took her into our lounge to see her try walking as she just didn't seem right in herself and I was right she just kept going around in circles and seemed disorientated and unbalanced.:(

We went to our usual vets but wasn't able to see our usual vet. He examined her ears and watched her walk about and told me he thinks it is likely to be e cuniculi or an ear infection but didn't want to run a blood test to see so advised we start a course of antibiotics for 7 days and then 28 days of Panacur for the parasite. Completely devistated and upset as it's horrible to see her so off balance and disorientated. :cry:. Her head is also slightly tilted and head sometimes shakes, the vet said he has seen rabbits far worse that Daisy make a recovery so I am just hoping that she does. When we got home we started medication and critical care as she hasn't eaten.

This morning when I went down to check on her she hadn't eaten again after putting some more fresh food, water and fruit&veg down, even her favourite - apple. There were a few little nuggets but no wee. We've now given her this mornings antibiotics and some water and critical care, much to her annoyance as she really won't eat a lot at all!

Sorry I have rambled on so much, it probably doesn't make sense it just upsets me to see her like this. Just wish should would at least eat and drink something.

Thanks for listening/reading and any advice or such like is appreciated as well as healing vibes xx

Last edited:
I don't have any advice (good to see she has passed some poo), but healing vibes from me and Smokie. My two have always been mad on herbs, basil and coriander so maybe see if they will tempt??

Poor girl, try feeding her anything she will eat, mushy pellets, dried or fresh herbs and vegetables.

Thank you Hannah. Mums just gone shopping so will ask her to pick up some, have given them Basil before but think Humphrey would always eat it rather than her. Anything is worth a try to get her back into eating her usual things. Will get some fresh grass in too as she does love that.

Poor girl, try feeding her anything she will eat, mushy pellets, dried or fresh herbs and vegetables.

Thank you Tim. She has a bowl of veg in with her at the moment and dried pellets. Fresh hay and straw. She really isn't fond of the critical care as I did try to give her it in a bowl and on a spoon (my first ever rabbit would just eat if off the spoon, knew it couldn't be as easy as that this time!). Hopefully something will get her going. Will try mixing her normal pellets with some water to see if she will try that.

I would call the Vet this morning and ask if Daisy should also be prescribed a non steroidal anti-inflammatory analgesic such as Metacam. If the problem is an ear infection that will be painful. There is also medication that can be given to alleviate the dizziness that she may be feeling- eg a drug called Procloperazine

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Procloperazine.htm

If Daisy is not eating or drinking at all you do need to syringe feed her, she may also benefit from fluid therapy (IV or subcutaneous) so it may be that she needs to be admitted for intensive nursing care.

It may also be necessary for her to receive medication to keep her GI tract moving.

So, as previously mentioned I would give the Vet another call and see if he/she feels that admission may be appropriate and if he/she will prescribe some Metacam.

I hope that Daisy feels better soon xx

Poor thing. Jacks Jane is right about the Metacam - that seems to be the most important medication for their recovery from head tilt.

Obviously the priority right now is to get her eating & drinking again, but read lots of stories on here and look at www.onthewonk.com about headtilt. I have found other people's experiences really helpful while our Mini recovers from it. Don't be afraid if she gets worse before she gets better, it will take a while for things to start improving.

Hopefully she'll be feeling better soon :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If she isn't keen on the critical care, could you try a different one? When Lance was ill, he hated the Oxbow one so I got the Supreme variety from the vets for him which he seemed to prefer. Strong smelling herbs also seem to work well when a bun doesn't want to eat. Could you try parsley, coriander or basil? It is really important to keep her gut moving so although it isn't good on a regular basis dipping the syringe with liquid food in mashed banana or baby food (Ellas Kitchen seems to be a popular one on here) may make her take them. Hope that she improves :)

Morning guys, thanks for all your comments. She has been drinking, apparently my boyfriend got up at 3 am Saturday heard a funny noise and checked on them and she was drinking. She is passing a lot more wee now & poo actually. Still not touched her pellets but is slowly eating fresh greens, not as much as I would like but she has had some cabbagr, grass, apple, coriander and cavolo, she only tends to eat overnight and I think thats because it is quieter. I'm going to call the vets today and try to make an appointment with our usual vet and see whether he thinks ear infection or e cuniculi and if there is anything else I could give her to help and maybe some different food. she tends to just hold it in her mouth and then it sticks to the syringe when I take it out.
She does seem to be a bit more like her usual self as she is a bit more resitant when taking her medicine and critical care but also shreading and eating the newspaper! Thanks again for all your help xx

So after out trips to the vets this afternoon Daisy was admitted to the vets as not a lot had been eaten today. Out usual vets suspects it is an ear infection and she is in a lot of pain which is why she isn't eating so they will be giving her pain relief and hopefully get some food into her once thats under control she will get back to her usual self and be home.
I know she is in the best place and they really are great there, fingers crossed she will be eating again soon. Xx

Ear infections are extremely painful so if Daisy had not been receiving any analgesia then that would certainly account for her anorexia. Also, the dizziness that any form of vestibular disease causes will add to her not wanting to eat. I hope that the Vets can get her feeling a lot more comfortable soon xx

Ear infections are extremely painful so if Daisy had not been receiving any analgesia then that would certainly account for her anorexia. Also, the dizziness that any form of vestibular disease causes will add to her not wanting to eat. I hope that the Vets can get her feeling a lot more comfortable soon xx

We didn't see our usual vet on Friday who only prescribed antibiotics and Panacur as he wasn't 100% sure what it was, if I am honest I wasn't overly happy with his examination of her as it was not as thorough as our usual vet at the practice. Just got off the phone with the Vets and she has been eating some greens, but no pellets and she is still having to be force fed by a syringe. Still not sure how comfortable she is and can imagine she is quite stressed and they think she would potentially be better at home with syringe feeding - I'm just not 100% sure as she will hold the critical care in her mouth rather than eating it.
Will call back this afternoon and see how she is then. xx

We didn't see our usual vet on Friday who only prescribed antibiotics and Panacur as he wasn't 100% sure what it was, if I am honest I wasn't overly happy with his examination of her as it was not as thorough as our usual vet at the practice. Just got off the phone with the Vets and she has been eating some greens, but no pellets and she is still having to be force fed by a syringe. Still not sure how comfortable she is and can imagine she is quite stressed and they think she would potentially be better at home with syringe feeding - I'm just not 100% sure as she will hold the critical care in her mouth rather than eating it.
Will call back this afternoon and see how she is then. xx

Sending loads of vibes for healing for her. xx

Back