• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best bedding for outside hutch

Hi.

Wondered if anyone could help. I have not had rabbits for a few years...but I am adopting my sister in laws rabbit and wondered what the best bedding for a 6ft double outdoor hutch.
He is currently on woodshavings-hay and staw. Is this the best bedding or is anything else recommended?

Thank you in advance

Jenny

A lot of people line their hutches with lino offcuts, so it is non-slip and waterproof, and then dont use any bedding on the actual floor. Most rabbits can be litter trained, and I use a litter tray lined with newspaper, megazorb, and hay. Some use just newspaper and hay, but a paper-based bedding tends to help control odours better. A sleeping area or a few, full of soft fresh hay will be appreciated, maybe with a base layer of straw in the winter time for extra warmth. Most woodshavings are made of pine which is very bad for small animals respiratory systems due to the "fumes" they have, especially when wee'd on. So definitely best to avoid those :)

Thank you for your reply. Agreed about the shavings- i hate the stuff and never used them myself for my animals. So will continue not to.
The hutch is already lined with tiles and will stick to Hay, Straw, Paper based litter and newspaper :)

Make sure that the bed chamber is stuffed full of bedding (I use straw as it is actually warmer than hay apparently) and I also put a couple of newspapers under the lino as it acts as a bit of insulation.

Invest in a Snugglesafe heat pad or two as well; they're fab! You can get them at pet shops like pets at home, but also online. Do your research though as they can vary quite a lot in price.

Back