• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bedding for after neutering

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

Harvey has just returned from the vets and although he's very sore he has eaten 2 little bits of hay and lied down in a corner of our lounge.

I will shortly be putting him back in his cage/pen combo, but I'm not sure what bedding to use?!

My vets told me to use newspaper, but being honest my bun isn't a fan, and weirdly doesn't like walking on it, I've got all of the following so would really appreciate your advice on which would be best;

Wood shavings
Megazorb
Hay

Thanks so much xx

What is down on the floor of his cage/pen? And is it indoors? I used newspaper when I had my girls spayed, and put hay in racks. but I would avoid any loose bedding. Shavings aren't recommended for use anytime with rabbits due to the phenols they produce causing respiratory problems.

Can you use an old towel for a day or two? Shavings are not recommended post neuter, or anytime really. Hay should be ok :thumb: Hope he recovers well. He will probably prefer some greens to eat if he isn't interested in his pellets. Don't allow him to jump onto anything for a few days. :)

Hiya, thanks so much!

He's an indoor bun normally, we'll i did try him on paper & a towel earlier and he just tries chewing them!

We'll I've currently got him on a bed of hay and he seems okay! :)

Thank you, well he's started to eat more hay and is popping normally which is great! Pellets and greens just aren't taking his fancy at the moment, so I'll see how he goes later!

Jumping I'm struggling with.. He wants to be out in the lounge as usual, which is fine but he's still trying to jump.. I keep saying no and he's a lot more active than I thought he would be! Is this common? But he's currently resting again so hopefully he'll settle down and relax now! :)

Mr Higgins was very active straight after his neutering. He jumped on and off the sofa as soon as he came home. I tried to stop him but it was fighting a loosing battle. It was the summer then and he was outside in a two storey hutch but I restricted him to the top level for about 3 days. I hope your little bun recovers quickly. It sounds like he's doing well already.

Hi Helen & Tonibun,

Thanks so much! Yes he's doing really well this morning, I did check on him through the night, but this morning he's drinking, eating his pellets and loads of hay and popping loads! Never seen so much! :)

He's been on my sofa this morning too, and compeltly with you, it's so hard. But I'll keep a close eye in him and he got his check up tomorrow anyway.

Thanks xx

Back