• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What Should I Do? (EC Bunny)

*Spider*

Wise Old Thumper
As some of you know I rescued 2 EC bunnies in Sept/October.
Tomorrow both Roger and Ralph were due to have their neuters and Roger his incisor extraction.
I found Ralph this morning had unfortunately passed to the bridge (utterly distraught).
Roger is a lost little bunny - he has to go through his op tomorrow - his teeth are dreadful (mis-aligned jaw means teeth are growing at rapid rates in all directions, fracturing etc. causing him pain (underweight - obviously I'm concerned for his operation but it's come to that stage now).

My issue - Roger is on his own. He NEEDS a nurse Ralph used to constantly groom and look after him - he can't clean properly and it's already clear that my boy is extremely lonely. He wasn't like Ralph where he enjoyed cuddles and human interaction Roger prefers bun company. (Otherwise I would have him a single housebunny)
What do I do? I can't have him on his own - but do I rescue another to potentially put it under the risk of contracting EC?!!

Are there any bunnies out there that already have the disease? I am lost.

My head can't think straight because I'm so distressed about losing Ralph - the far healthier of the two - with Roger having his op tomorrow....

I just need RU hugs and a light at the end of the tunnel for my Roger.

As some of you know I rescued 2 EC bunnies in Sept/October.
Tomorrow both Roger and Ralph were due to have their neuters and Roger his incisor extraction.
I found Ralph this morning had unfortunately passed to the bridge (utterly distraught).
Roger is a lost little bunny - he has to go through his op tomorrow - his teeth are dreadful (mis-aligned jaw means teeth are growing at rapid rates in all directions, fracturing etc. causing him pain (underweight - obviously I'm concerned for his operation but it's come to that stage now).

My issue - Roger is on his own. He NEEDS a nurse Ralph used to constantly groom and look after him - he can't clean properly and it's already clear that my boy is extremely lonely. He wasn't like Ralph where he enjoyed cuddles and human interaction Roger prefers bun company. (Otherwise I would have him a single housebunny)
What do I do? I can't have him on his own - but do I rescue another to potentially put it under the risk of contracting EC?!!

Are there any bunnies out there that already have the disease? I am lost.

My head can't think straight because I'm so distressed about losing Ralph - the far healthier of the two - with Roger having his op tomorrow....

I just need RU hugs and a light at the end of the tunnel for my Roger.

Oh my goodness I am so sorry for your loss! How sudden and unexpected :cry:

Has Roger had a course of Panacur? If he has, and his litter trays and area are cleaned thoroughly (in the case of litter trays, using dilute bleach) then I see no reason not to get another bunny from a rescue and bond them together. You will not put another bunny into a risk situation by doing this.

Over half of bunnies have been exposed to EC anyway, and most don't go on to develop symptoms or problems. Without testing each and every one you may come across in rescue, it will be impossible to know which rabbit would test positive. This is something I wouldn't worry about.

Sending best wishes and hope you feel better soon. And many good vibes for Roger's incisor removal xx

Edited to add: ((((HUGS)))) and LOTS of light at the end of yours and Roger's tunnel! xx

Last edited:
Just wanted to say it might be worth doing another course of panacur as my vet believes there is a link between partial facial paralysis caused by EC and dental problems so recommends a course for dental bunnies who've shown EC symptoms in the past.

Both Roger and Ralph were treated for with a stupidly long dose when I got them and they had another dose in December I believe but vet has been very happy with progress to book them in for neuter.

Thanks so much for the support - I'll see what tomorrow brings - with lots of vibes for Roger - if he pulls through I'll look into rehoming a larger rabbit to nurse the delicate boy xxxxx

You poor things (you and Roger and Ralph, may he binky free and happy now). Be gentle with yourself, shock and grief don't need worry for company. You know Roger has to have his operation and he's going to be grieving too for a few days and might not even want anything to do with another bun, so while it's great to be asking questions try not to worry about the new bonding situation just yet. I'm SURE you will find a good bunny bud for your tough little guy in due course no matter where he/she comes from, and you'll keep the EC under control if you have to. But right now it sounds like you both really need to focus on getting through the dental and the neuter op and getting Roger a new nurse will be priority one on the other side. LOTS AND TONS of (((((((HUGS))))))))

Both Roger and Ralph were treated for with a stupidly long dose when I got them and they had another dose in December I believe but vet has been very happy with progress to book them in for neuter.

Thanks so much for the support - I'll see what tomorrow brings - with lots of vibes for Roger - if he pulls through I'll look into rehoming a larger rabbit to nurse the delicate boy xxxxx

Well Roger will be as good as new :) I don't think you need to do any more Panacur. Without teeth which aren't serving him, he could turn into a new bunny. Mine certainly did!

Good vibes for you and him x

Sending loads of vibes for Rogers op and speedy recovery.So sorry you lost Ralph.

(((hugs)))for you.So sorry youre going through such a horrible time.x

:cry: how awful, binky free Ralph.

Good luck for Rogers op today, sending him vibes xx

Back