• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please re outdoor housing in this cold weather

xlaurax

Mama Doe
My 2 are outside in a solid hutch (The Hutchman) it has a solid back and sides with mesh doors.

They have a 6 inch carpet of hay/straw they've stomped down this week so it's pretty thick. They also have about another 4 inches of loose straw on top.

They have a snuggle safe at night - tried to find it this morning to warm up for them but it was hidden away somewhere and I was ruining late. I've asked OH to have a look for it before he goes to work.

They have a "bedroom" area packed full of straw.

There's two bunnies and they weigh approx 5kg and 3.5kg. Been a while since they were weighed.

Do you think they will be ok?

ETA It's -3 celcius today and getting colder :(

i think they will be fine! bunnies cope much better in cold than heat so as long as it is not damp or draughty they will be fine :D

If the hutch is dry and does not have wind / rain blowing into it, the bunnies should be OK. They have plenty of bedding, room to move, each other for warmth, etc. I would just cover the open meshed part at night to keep the draughts out and the warmth in. I use doormat runners with the ribbed side inwards - it gives enough protection from wind and rain. At the moment they are doubled up, but I normally just have one layer in winter. Something like a heavy duty tarpaulin or board propped up over the front would probably do.

I also have a max/min thermometer attached on the top of the mesh part so I know just how cold it is in the most open part of the hutch. As a basic measure, if the water freezes, they get more protection. So far it has never been below 1'C at night on the mesh of the hutches - so would be warmer inside - and you are not far from me.

I'm sure they will be fine, they have each other to snuggle up with :thumb:

Thanks for your replies. I feel better now :)

I know how hardy they can be but I just look at their little fluffy bodies in the cold and feel bad for them.

I did pick them up this morning and felt their tummies - which were nice and warm. Hopefully they will be ok.

Thanks again :)

It was -5 here this morning and my two were happily bouncing around in their run, completely ignoring the newly heated snugglesafe in their hutch :roll: The cold really doesn't seem to bother them much. :)

It was -5 here this morning and my two were happily bouncing around in their run, completely ignoring the newly heated snugglesafe in their hutch :roll: The cold really doesn't seem to bother them much. :)

Aw love their names by the way! :love: I think I worry unnecessarily because my two don't seem phased by it. They just cuddle up a bit more

Back