• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

PANIC. I think I've brought snuffles in to our house :(

davidrle

New Kit
So we have two perfectly healthy indoor bunnies.

Last week we decided to get a third, an 8 month old that the local pet shop were struggling to sell

other than a brief meeting through her cage, she has been kept separate from the other 2 and kept in a different part of the house until she is fixed and allowed to bond slowly.

Today we noticed white gunk coming from her nose and after a bit of research on the internet it seems she may have snuffles - going to take her to the vet asap to confirm.

But now I am panicking about the other two rabbits - is it probably already too late, have I already done damage? Even if new bunny is cleared of it she will always have it and will never fully be able to mix with the other two?

Don't want to put her back to the pet shop as I can't see them taking good care of her - we're probably her only chance but I don't want it to be at the risk of our other 2...

Anyone have any experience of this?

B8wz948CUAE3C48.jpg

Hello

Unfortunately Rabbits from Pet Shops often have respiratory tract problems. It is possible that infection may have now been passed to your other two Rabbits if they made contact with new Rabbit or if new Rabbit sneezed close by the other two. However, it is by no means inevitable that your original two Rabbits will become symptomatic. It may be that their own immune system will deal with any infection passed on.

The new Rabbit does require very prompt Veterinary attention to try to minimise the possibility of the infection worsening and spreading to the lungs. This would be a lot more serious.

Rabbits who have had an 'active' bout of 'Snuffles' do not have to be kept alone for their whole life. The chances of them passing on an infection once their own symptoms have resolved is significantly less than when they have symptoms. I have had several Rabbits who have had one bout of 'Snuffles' which cleared up with a course of appropriate antibiotics. The Rabbits went on to be bonded with another Rabbit, none of whom ever became ill.

For now the most important thing is to get the new Rabbit seen by a Vet and to be vigilant about your original two Rabbit's health. An early warning sign of a potential problem, before more obvious respiratory symptoms are seen, is unexplained weightloss. So weighing your Rabbits a couple of times a week is a good way to monitor things in that respect.

So we have two perfectly healthy indoor bunnies.

Last week we decided to get a third, an 8 month old that the local pet shop were struggling to sell

other than a brief meeting through her cage, she has been kept separate from the other 2 and kept in a different part of the house until she is fixed and allowed to bond slowly.

Today we noticed white gunk coming from her nose and after a bit of research on the internet it seems she may have snuffles - going to take her to the vet asap to confirm.

But now I am panicking about the other two rabbits - is it probably already too late, have I already done damage? Even if new bunny is cleared of it she will always have it and will never fully be able to mix with the other two?

Don't want to put her back to the pet shop as I can't see them taking good care of her - we're probably her only chance but I don't want it to be at the risk of our other 2...

Anyone have any experience of this?

B8wz948CUAE3C48.jpg

I'm sorry you've got into this position, but please don't worry! You have been very kind to take on this bunny, who may not have made it much longer being in a pet shop environment.

First thing is to get this new rabbit to the vet for a thorough check over. She may very well want to prescribe antibiotics to help with the infection.

Even when rabbits make an apparently complete recovery from “snuffles,” they may still harbour the bacteria that caused their problem deep in their nasal passages. The chances of your rabbits getting an infection from your new rabbit will be greater if they've been sneezed on!

However, much more important is the overall health of your own rabbits and their stress levels, as their immune system will fight any onslaught of bacteria. That's why I said not to worry too much. Firstly because what's done is done, and also, because it may not be bad at all. I have had snuffles bunnies living with perfectly healthy bunnies who have remained healthy for the length of their (many years) long lives.

I hope you get on OK at the vet - good luck, and bless again for taking on this little one x

My bun developed snuffles a few years ago, she was treated but it never fully cleared up, the bun she lived with never caught it. She also free ranges in the same area as my other buns and none have ever got it. I was told by the vet that it is unlikely that she will pass it on to a healthy rabbit. As I said she has had it now for a few years and every other night I give her a dessert spoon of porridge oats mixed with warm water and a small pinch of Bisolvon which is a decongestant from the vet and she seems happy.

I also had a bun with snuffles (pastuerella) & none of my other buns caught it from her, so try not to worry.

My Boris developed snuffles, his wife Bella never caught it. And she even used to clean his eyes for him when they were runny :mrgreen: So yeah, do try not to worry. When you take her to the vets make sure she's put on a long course of antibiotics :wave: That should clear it up.

Thank you for all the reassuring words.

I'm phoning the vet first thing in the morning. Typically things always seem to happen to our bunnies when it's a Sunday and our vets are closed.

She is supposed to get neutered this coming Friday but I think that will be off the cards for a while.

I have a bun with long term snuffles. When she first was diagnosed, all but one of my other buns caught it. They were all treated with antibiotics and the runs were cleaned with a good disinfectant daily.

My girl Honey still has snuffles, but only one of my other rabbits has had another episode and he was very ill with cancer at the time.

What I'm trying to say, not very well, is that even if your buns do get it, it could very well be easily sorted with some antibiotics and they might never be affected again.

Good luck at the vet!

Back