• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E.cuniculi

I'm so very sorry to hear that you have had to say goodbye to your bunny. :(

I have also seen a few bunnies recover from head tilt (my Mimzy did but only after six long months of intense 24 hour nursing and support and several times I feared having to make that last decision) and I have seen others that were too sick to continue. Each bunny is different and we have to consider how well they will respond to treatment, if at all.

I agree with the others who've posted here; that you have done the right thing and put your bunny's welfare ahead of your own. It's natural for us to look back and wonder as it's part of the grieving process but it doesn't mean we haven't acted correctly. With bunnies, as with any other beloved animal companion, sometimes we have to choose to go through pain ourselves, so that they do not. :cry:

Sending you comforting thoughts and vibes at this difficult time. Bless you. xxxx

I'm sorry for your loss. You did what was necessary in his best interest. You took the strain for that. Its a loving thing to do.

Hello, I am so sorry to hear about your Rabbit :cry: Whilst some cases of EC can respond to treatment some cases present in such an acute and severe way that the only humane option is to PTS. Please dont think you have done the wrong thing, your Rabbit sounded to be very sick and he was clearly in a great deal of distress. He may not have been able to cope with all the intensive 'hands on' care such a sick Rabbit would need, maybe for several weeks on end. Then there would be no guarantee of a good outcome.

I have nursed some Rabbits through EC, but one I had to have PTS as he was in such a distressed state and all attempts to help him just made him worse. Sometiimes loving a Rabbit means we have to let them go :cry:

If you have any other Rabbits I would advise you to treat all of them with a 28 day course of Fenbendazole (Panacur or Lapizole) as a precaution. I'd also steam clean the environment in which your EC effected Rabbit lived. EC is transmitted via spores shed in an infected Rabbit's urine. The spores can remain viable outside of the host for some time so it is important to destroy them by the use of an effective cleaning method.

This is an informative article about EC. It may be useful to take a look at it when you feel up to doing so

http://www.gwexotics.com/wccms-resources/a/5/0/e/77554b90-a660-11e0-a685-0050568626ea.pdf

I don't have any personal experience of EC but Jane's post is spot on. I am so sorry for your loss but you did the humane thing and as Jane said, love sometimes means letting go as hard as that can be. You have set someone who was suffering free from pain and discomfort which is that last and greatest gift of love you can give. Binky free beautiful bunny xx

Oh goodness, I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't have any experience of an active EC infection so I can't offer much advice. I'm sure your vet offered what he thought was the best advice in a difficult situation and you can only act based on the information you have to hand. You did what you yhought was in your bunny's best interests and acted out of love. Don't beat yourself up about it.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost a bunny to EC. I'd rescued him and his partner four weeks previously and didn't realise/wasn't told he had health problems. He developed an abcess which he had surgery for and we were treating but he lost control of his legs and bladder and was very ill so we had to let him go. As I understand it mild symptoms are treatable but more severe ones aren't. You did the best thing you could for your bunny.

I'm so very sorry to hear that you have had to say goodbye to your bunny. :(

I have also seen a few bunnies recover from head tilt (my Mimzy did but only after six long months of intense 24 hour nursing and support and several times I feared having to make that last decision) and I have seen others that were too sick to continue. Each bunny is different and we have to consider how well they will respond to treatment, if at all.

I agree with the others who've posted here; that you have done the right thing and put your bunny's welfare ahead of your own. It's natural for us to look back and wonder as it's part of the grieving process but it doesn't mean we haven't acted correctly. With bunnies, as with any other beloved animal companion, sometimes we have to choose to go through pain ourselves, so that they do not. :cry:

Sending you comforting thoughts and vibes at this difficult time. Bless you. xxxx

This.

I nursed a bunny through severe EC (still has the head tilt now but aside from that leads a normal life) - but it was really soul destroying at times putting a bun through the nursing with no idea if they will come out the other side. Some do, and some don't, please don't beat yourself up about it.

Thank you everyone for your advise.

Our other rabbit is on lapizole for 28 days so hopefully he will be ok.

Last edited:
Back