• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

dental surgery still not eating

idolstar

Young Bun
Hello,

Am after some advice. I took Link to the vet on Monday to have her molars filled down. Everything went fine i was told she had eaten some greens. I took her home she had a little drink of water and is still eating some of greens and hay but it's now been 2 days after the molar filling and she still will not touch her pellets:?. She doesn't seem to want to eat a lot of her greens or hay before she got her molars filled down she would eat a good bit of hay and green. Now am just worried i don't have a clue on what do to now or what's wrong with her.

Am given her Emeprid 1.5m 3 times a day & Metacam 0.5ml once daily. I don't think the Metacam is doing anything to tell the truth. It does say to give with food but she doesn't want to eat. I have been force feeding her then given metacam but like i said it doesn't seem to do anything

Is it the Dog Metacam or the Cat Metacam ?

How much does your Rabbit weigh ? It may be that the dose of Metacam is too low to provide adequate pain relief

Did the Vet who carried out the Dental comment on whether there was any soft tissue damage in her mouth ?

What is her poo output like and is she drinking ?

It is dog metacam

Am not sure on her weight sorry but she is a big bunny. The vet couldn't really handle her very well

I didn't see the vet when i went to pick her up i only got the nurse who didn't say anything about tissue damage

Her poos are very small & black. She is still drink water on her own

I am with the pets at home vets if that helps

It is dog metacam

Am not sure on her weight sorry but she is a big bunny. The vet couldn't really handle her very well

I didn't see the vet when i went to pick her up i only got the nurse who didn't say anything about tissue damage

Her poos are very small & black. She is still drink water on her own

I am with the pets at home vets if that helps

The dose of Metacam may need to be increased if she is a large Rabbit. I would give the Vet a call now and see what he/she advises.

How much are you syringe feeding to supplement the small amount she will eat for herself ?

Hello,

Am after some advice. I took Link to the vet on Monday to have her molars filled down. Everything went fine i was told she had eaten some greens. I took her home she had a little drink of water and is still eating some of greens and hay but it's now been 2 days after the molar filling and she still will not touch her pellets:?. She doesn't seem to want to eat a lot of her greens or hay before she got her molars filled down she would eat a good bit of hay and green. Now am just worried i don't have a clue on what do to now or what's wrong with her.

Am given her Emeprid 1.5m 3 times a day & Metacam 0.5ml once daily. I don't think the Metacam is doing anything to tell the truth. It does say to give with food but she doesn't want to eat. I have been force feeding her then given metacam but like i said it doesn't seem to do anything

I should ring the vet back for advice. Teeth can be sore after a dental, but she should be starting to eat some scraps on her own by now ...

I syringe feed her ever 2 hours and she takes 4 syringe fulls.

Am going to phone the vet right now and ask about the metacam.

Last edited:
I just phoned the vet and i was told not to increased the metacam as it wouldn't do anything for pain but would increased the 2nd side effects:?. I was all so told she would get better in 2days as it is a tender bit

I still don't know what to do

I just phoned the vet and i was told not to increased the metacam as it wouldn't do anything for pain but would increased the 2nd side effects:?. I was all so told she would get better in 2days as it is a tender bit

I still don't know what to do

Did you actually speak with the Vet who did the Dental ? I am assuming the Dental was done under GA ?

Did you actually speak with the Vet who did the Dental ? I am assuming the Dental was done under GA ?

Yes i spoke with the vet that did the dental but she said it would just increase the side effects and wouldn't help much for pain. Yes it was done under GA

Link still want's to come out and play still moves about. not lying about looking sad

Yes i spoke with the vet that did the dental but she said it would just increase the side effects and wouldn't help much for pain. Yes it was done under GA

Link still want's to come out and play still moves about. not lying about looking sad

Have you tried softening her pellets by soaking them in boiled water ?

I used to leave a bowl of recovery food mixed up for sox after he had his dentals, maybe worth a try, also softening pellets as jane says, also I encouraged his eating with herbs likes basil and parsley etc x

I find a treat for mine when they don't fancy eating is rose leaves. Also a bit of freshly picked grass (just been out and cut some :lol: )

I gave her some soggy pellets but she didn't touch them:? vet didn't give me any recovery food am having to mash her pellets down to force feed her. she mostly just wants to eat greens and bits of hay.

I gave her some soggy pellets but she didn't touch them:? vet didn't give me any recovery food am having to mash her pellets down to force feed her. she mostly just wants to eat greens and bits of hay.

Mine will never touch soggy pellets either. If she is eating greens and hay then that's all good. It takes some tooth power to eat greens and hay, a grinding action, so maybe her pain has gone down a little by now? I hope so x

The jaw action required to chew hay/greens is different from that required to chew a pelleted feed. So it may be that the more 'up and down' jaw action that is involved in chewing pellets is still rather uncomfortable for her. The burring of the crowns of the molar teeth can disturb the tooth root innervation, leaving them rather sensitive for a few days. As long as your Rabbit is eating something and her output is OK then try not to stress too much. She will probably start eating better over the next 24-36 hours.

Agree with what Jane has said, last time my bun had dental it took her few days to be herself again, in past she has bounced back, she had me worried

Back