• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

inplant instead of rabbit castration .

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
We currently have a young boy in rescue who doesn't cope with GA . We have tried twice to neuter and both times his heart rate dipped dangerously and the op had to be aborted .

I darnt try him again .

which leaves us with the decision of keeping him single ..either here or rehoming single ..uncastrated
or
Trying the implant instead of castration. ..keeping here and pairing ...or rehoming and pairing .

I don't know how feasible the implant would be in a ,male bunny . does anyone have first hand experience of this please .

I have had a Rabbit, Brian, who had a Suprelorin Implant to control the behavioural effects of an adrenal tumour.

http://www.virbacferretsusa.com/about-suprelorinf-implant

Basically the tumour excreted testosterone which then made him behave like an entire buck although he had been castrated for over 8 years. He was in a dreadful state as a result :cry: The implant needs to be replaced every 6 weeks. It did help a lot to start with but after a few implants the beneficial effects appeared to lessen.

Obviously Brian's case is not the same as the Bun you are dealling with, but Brian is the only Bun whom I have had who has had a hormone implant xx

It would be sad to keep him single... I suppose you could try it and if it doesn't go well have it taken out? Living with a bun already neutered wouldn't be an option would it? I suppose if he's not neutered he would most likely pester them. :(

What's his behaviour like? It might be worth trying him with a spayed doe and seeing how he reacts. Whilst hormonal is probably the most likely outcome some bunnies are less so than others. I'd probably try it on the off chance just in case.

I have known a bunny that had the suprelorin implant instead of castration due to heart issues, so they could bond him and as far as I'm aware did well. The implants need to be replaced though, so that is something to consider

I have had a Rabbit, Brian, who had a Suprelorin Implant to control the behavioural effects of an adrenal tumour.

http://www.virbacferretsusa.com/about-suprelorinf-implant

Basically the tumour excreted testosterone which then made him behave like an entire buck although he had been castrated for over 8 years. He was in a dreadful state as a result :cry: The implant needs to be replaced every 6 weeks. It did help a lot to start with but after a few implants the beneficial effects appeared to lessen.

Obviously Brian's case is not the same as the Bun you are dealling with, but Brian is the only Bun whom I have had who has had a hormone implant xx

6 weeks is a very short time :(

What's his behaviour like? It might be worth trying him with a spayed doe and seeing how he reacts. Whilst hormonal is probably the most likely outcome some bunnies are less so than others. I'd probably try it on the off chance just in case.

I don't think it would work .. hes very exitable and humpy ...I think hed just pester her too much .

I have known a bunny that had the suprelorin implant instead of castration due to heart issues, so they could bond him and as far as I'm aware did well. The implants need to be replaced though, so that is something to consider

do you know how often they needed rep;lacing ?

Back