• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice about lapizole

lucy24

Mama Doe
Charlie has problems with intermittant bouts of incontinance. My vet has narrowed it down to EC as he improves on lapizole. She said to treat him with this every 6months, as it seems to come back between 7/8 months later each time. My question is when i do it shall i do a full 28 day course or 5day?the insyructions confused me lol

Charlie has problems with intermittant bouts of incontinance. My vet has narrowed it down to EC as he improves on lapizole. She said to treat him with this every 6months, as it seems to come back between 7/8 months later each time. My question is when i do it shall i do a full 28 day course or 5day?the insyructions confused me lol

What did the Vet advise ?

If a diagnosis of E.C. is fairly secure, the usual length of treatment is 4 - 6 weeks, dependent upon what your vet believes will work best. What length of time have you been doing the courses in the past, where you've noticed the improvement?

I just found the old box with instructions. Its 28 days. However one last question, ive weighed him at 700grams, how do i work out dosage?

Nope never mind. Had a dippy moment. He weighs 1.7kg lol

Talk with your vet about this, as the dosage depends on the strength of the medication he gave you. The paste and the liquid are vastly differing strengths.

Last edited:
I gave 2 of my buns Lapizole for 6 weeks and the EC has never returned.(Obviously on the advice of my vet)It might be worth asking your vet about this.

thanks everyone :)

just on a funny side note. when i went to weigh him and put him in a bowl with a towl on some kitchen scales.... all went fine . i thought id try weighing Honey too....i knocked the lot over and broke the scales trying....:oops:
i now owe my parents some scales ahem...

just on a funny side note. when i went to weigh him and put him in a bowl with a towl on some kitchen scales.... all went fine . i thought id try weighing Honey too....i knocked the lot over and broke the scales trying....:oops:

Ooooops !!!

Oh my goodness :shock: Poor you!

Back