• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to stop hutch nibbling?

Cucumber absolutely loves nibbling her hutch but it's getting quite dangerous for her as she's nibbling closer and closer to the latch so eventually the latch is not going to lock the hutch anymore. I've tried offering her other things to nibble including a piece of wood that is the same sort of wood as her hutch, and recently I've bought her different texture toys designed to be nibbled but she won't touch any of them! :( Can anyone suggest what else I can do? It was annoying before because her hutches aren't cheap but now I'm worried for her safety.

I would provide lots of toys, a tunnel, something to jump on/hide in. A box to dig in. Basically plenty of things to keep her occupied. You could feed her pellets in a treat ball too. Does she have a permanently attached run? Having said all that, some bunnies are chewers no matter what, my Dandy and Beano are :roll:

You don't stop them. :lol: You could provide other distractions but despite all the toys and things to do my buns still chew the run and hutch like mad when they are out in Summer.

Try spraying Grannicks Bitter bite, which is a pet safe spray to deter pets chewing things they shouldn't. Or try vinegar, as that is something that bunnies don't like the smell or taste of.

Either try to prevent her wanting to nibble... i.e ensure she's spayed to reduce her hormones, increase her space (she needs permanent access to at least 6 x 4 ft according to the RWAF) and give her plenty of food/enrichment/entertainment (which may include getting her a neutered male to snuggle with).

And if all of that is seen to then physically prevent her nibbling it by covering the area with small mesh or metal etc.

Yepp I've given her all sorts of different toys but she's just no interested in them. Yes she has a permanently attached run and then she has access to the whole yard during the day.

She has lots of space (more than me actually!) and lots of entertainment but she just always nibbles the same spot. I think I'm just going to have to cover it like you suggested, thanks :)

Protect the edges with a piece of metal cornering, you can get it at B&Q and Wickes and can be fitted with a junior hacksaw, a drill and some screws

Some buns will simply chew no matter what you do. My buns have my whole room to run around in, countless toys and chews, fresh hay all day and company and they still chew my furniture. I have just put plastic corners on everything. They still find something to chew, though!

Thanks for the advice everyone :) I was worried about whether it might be a behavioral problem because she was unhappy but I'm glad that's not the case :D

Back