• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeder uses chicken wire for bottom?

kep028

New Kit
Hey all!
I came across an ad online for rabbits from a small town here in Saskatchewan. I notice that this breeder used chicken wire for the flooring/bottom of outdoor hutches. Some of the grids were small but I imagine their feet would eventually get sore like how rodents get bumblefeet.
I feel this is poor housing and I want to message this individual that this isn't healthy but I'd like to verify with you guys!

The last image I'm not too sure of. A bunch of rabbits in a container. Probably not as bad as it looks!

Thanks everyone :)

6006dc18ea499ecc131e09e22eb846fe.jpg

20d33899789c489e8449e7341f223cb1.jpg

562c5e6902f3cbf7d38c4a535e2748ed.jpg

8f1c544e888fd229a940b5ce9e34ba01.jpg

ca8dfa333f1b30de55c95a4da3034b1b.jpg

Yeah you're right, it isn't good housing. It can cause bumblefoot or a paw could get caught. And it can't be very comfortable to stand on wire all the time either. Probably makes it hard to run around too.

The only case that I don't see anything wrong with it is is using it for keeping rabbits cool e.g. a section of the hutch having mesh wire and then the rest a solid bottom. I know from experience that rabbits will seek out the wire to lay on when they're hot. But it's important that they have the choice, and I'd never have a partial wire bottom with a rex as they're so prone to sore hocks.

Breeders do this for ease of cleaning unfortunately (trays underneath the wire in hutches to collect poos for easy removal). I definately don't agree with it as I'm sure the long term health consequences would not be good.

A politely worded message certainly can't hurt. A lot of breeders are "old school" when it comes to rabbit keeping and think their way is fine because that's the way it's always been done.

Having spoken to people who breed and keep their rabbits on wire floor, 99% of them will not change and you're likely to have abuse hurled back at you for sticking your nose in! It's way more common over US way and with organisations like ARBA and 4H actively promoting it, us little people won't make them change.

This is the mentality you're arguing against (from a 4H breeder on Instagram)
10914120_764157646971680_1006619004_n.jpg

:censored:

Thanks guys!
This person probably won't do squat. Breaks my heart when people take shortcuts or will breed animals in these conditions. Maybe I'm overreacting. I'll probably drum up a polite message, might be more receptive.

Thanks again!

I genuinely can't understand how they think it's cleaner or easier :? Poop, fur and hay get stuck in the wire and it's just a nightmare to clean! And you have to clean the tray too and put something in it to absorb the pee. Flies and other insects hover around the tray even with something absorbent in it.

Way easier to have newspaper down and then just roll the newspaper up everyday and replace with fresh. Or something similar. I'm sure if they actually tried that they would realize that it's cleaner and easier but they're stubborn and set in their ways :roll: If you're not willing to learn and change for the betterment of your animals then you shouldn't have animals!

It's standard practice for some breeders, more common in the states than here. Although, that is very wide mesh for wire flooring, normally it would be just big enough for a poop to fit though. Obviously the smaller the holes, the more foot is supported on wire.

The run looks like it was just build badly. You can use mesh like that for digging but you place it on the underside so it sits flat on the ground creating a solid surface.

Rabbits kept on mesh should always have resting platforms i.e. solid areas to sit on if they want.

Back