• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Microchipping

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi Everyone,

sorry if this has been asked before.. but today I have taken my bunnies for their first vaccinations. Whilst there we have signed them up to a healthy pet plan, and included within this, is the choice to have my bunnies micro chipped?

however I just wanted to know what people's advice and views are on microchipping?
- is it worth doing?
- does it cause the bunny any pain?

really appreciate any help as I really don't know if I should or not!

thank you in advance :)

All three of mine are microchipped :) I wanted to make extra sure I did everything I could if they ever did escape. They are indoor buns but they do get outside time when the weather is nice and you just never know

My Hector is microchipped. He didn't even flinch when he had it done. I doubt he would go missing *touch wood* but if he does at least we have a chance of getting him back to us! When my bunnies went for their health check in rabbit awareness week, microchipping was done for free so I thought why not? My new bun will probably be done too if they offer it for free again. It's not something I would go out of my way to pay for.

My buns are all micro-chipped. The rspca visited the village hall and were offering micro chipping for a small donation. I gave £5 for each one. Didn't give it a thought to be honest about any side effects. None of the buns even seemed aware of it.

You just never no when something unforseen is going to happen, and if by some freak they did happen to get out, even though they are house bunnies, at least you've got more chance of getting them back.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.. looks like I'll go ahead then as it is free with my pet plan.

I was just unsure in case it hurt them.. but as you say, if they do ever get out.. then I have more chance of getting them back. :)

Back