• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ringworm

Kirotea

Mama Doe
I've got ringworm on my arm which I've had before from my cat. My cat still lives at my mum's house and I've been in contact with her, my parents dog and my bunnies. Is it more likely I've got it from the cat again as it's in the same place as last time? Can bunnies get ringworm or get it from me? And how would I know if they had it? :?

I've got ringworm on my arm which I've had before from my cat. My cat still lives at my mum's house and I've been in contact with her, my parents dog and my bunnies. Is it more likely I've got it from the cat again as it's in the same place as last time? Can bunnies get ringworm or get it from me? And how would I know if they had it? :?

Ooh sorry you've got ringworm!

Yes, bunnies can get ringworm and you would know because they would have patchy areas of hair loss and dry scaly skin. They won't necessarily get it from you and I hope they don't, but it's easily transmissible.

You need to get yourself treated either by anti fungal tablets from your doctor or cream from a pharmacy.

Rabbits, if they did get it, would be also treated with anti fungal cream and you can ask your vet about it, if the situation arises - I hope it doesn't!

You would have to continue treatment for at least 2 weeks after all the lesions have resolved to ensure no recurrence xx

I've been and got a cream I used last time today. I always wash my hands when getting back from my mum's before touching the bunnies. How does it work like do they have to be in specific contact with the infected area or not? It's in the crook of my arm so they won't have had contact with it directly.

Also do I need to wash / clean everything I've touched specifically or does it not work like that? I can't remember what I did last time. I'll be washing towels and sheets but not sure how much more I need to do :?

I've been and got a cream I used last time today. I always wash my hands when getting back from my mum's before touching the bunnies. How does it work like do they have to be in specific contact with the infected area or not? It's in the crook of my arm so they won't have had contact with it directly.

Also do I need to wash / clean everything I've touched specifically or does it not work like that? I can't remember what I did last time. I'll be washing towels and sheets but not sure how much more I need to do :?

Ringworm is highly contagious, so I would suggest being as clean and cautious as you can without driving yourself demented :shock:

It can easily spread from one part of your body to another, so it's best to err on the scrupulous side when at all possible x

I've had it twice before in the exact same spot as now. It's never spread before and none of the rest of my family have got it. I don't know why it's always me :( I'm just as clean as my family! We've never had any signs of it on our animals either but I know it was the cat last time as she lived with me then with no other animals. I really hope the rabbits don't have it / get it :?

Bless.. I've had it before from working in the garden, using cheap compost and no gloves.

I did similar to you... washing hands, scrubbing under finger nails, changing clothes when I'd finished what I was doing... no one else in the household got it - human or animal. I did use the cream for about a month to 6 weeks, as I remember, and I did go to my GP to get a prescription cream ( tablets weren't needed, the doc said they are steroid based, which I didn't want, so we started with the cream and it worked )

And like you, I was just me, and I'm the cleanest member of our house :roll:

Best of luck, and hopefully it will be over soon :)

Bless.. I've had it before from working in the garden, using cheap compost and no gloves.

I did similar to you... washing hands, scrubbing under finger nails, changing clothes when I'd finished what I was doing... no one else in the household got it - human or animal. I did use the cream for about a month to 6 weeks, as I remember, and I did go to my GP to get a prescription cream ( tablets weren't needed, the doc said they are steroid based, which I didn't want, so we started with the cream and it worked )

And like you, I was just me, and I'm the cleanest member of our house :roll:

Best of luck, and hopefully it will be over soon :)

It's weird really, none of our animals have ever had any sign of it but I've had it 3 times now. The last time was like 2 or 3 years ago. My cat is nearly 19 and is a bit scraggy these days but we haven't had a problem with her skin for years (she lost some of hair once years ago but we didn't know why because she had no marks, just went bald and then grew it back). She lives with a dog too so you would think he would get it but he hasn't had any problems at all.

It's cleared up after a week or so with a cream before so I'm hoping it will just go away again. I've changed all the sheets and towels and put my sofa blanket to wash too :( I feel really dirty now but I know I'm not! :?

It's not caused by being dirty.. it is present everywhere, in the soil, on humans and animals, and many can be carriers without showing any signs of symptoms and pass it on without even knowing.. maybe you are just sensitive to it, and if it keeps coming back it's best to check with the doc... my GP told me if it re-appears to let her know, so they can prescribe a stronger cream. Also, maybe boost your immune system with vitamins / Echinacea, etc for a decent period of time :) Prescribed tablets may be a good idea, as it is reacurring.
I only learn't this cos I looked into it when I had it :)

Last edited:
Back